Dec 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
We haven’t heard much about Brian Wilson recently, but CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reports that he’s drawing “lots of interest” in free agency. While he isn’t close to signing yet, he has narrowed down his list of potential landing spots from nine or 10 teams to around five. It’s not clear if any of those teams will offer him a chance to close.
Wilson is coming back from Tommy John surgery, so chances are he’ll have to settle for something similar to Ryan Madson‘s recent deal with the Angels. Madson will make a $3.5 million base salary in 2013 and could earn an additional $2.5 million in roster bonuses and another $1 million based on games finished.
Wilson, who turns 31 in March, has a 3.21 ERA and 171 saves over seven seasons in the majors. He’s expected to be cleared for spring training and Opening Day.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)