Dec 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
We haven’t heard much about Brian Wilson recently, but CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reports that he’s drawing “lots of interest” in free agency. While he isn’t close to signing yet, he has narrowed down his list of potential landing spots from nine or 10 teams to around five. It’s not clear if any of those teams will offer him a chance to close.
Wilson is coming back from Tommy John surgery, so chances are he’ll have to settle for something similar to Ryan Madson‘s recent deal with the Angels. Madson will make a $3.5 million base salary in 2013 and could earn an additional $2.5 million in roster bonuses and another $1 million based on games finished.
Wilson, who turns 31 in March, has a 3.21 ERA and 171 saves over seven seasons in the majors. He’s expected to be cleared for spring training and Opening Day.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)