Dec 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
We haven’t heard much about Brian Wilson recently, but CBS Sports’ Scott Miller reports that he’s drawing “lots of interest” in free agency. While he isn’t close to signing yet, he has narrowed down his list of potential landing spots from nine or 10 teams to around five. It’s not clear if any of those teams will offer him a chance to close.
Wilson is coming back from Tommy John surgery, so chances are he’ll have to settle for something similar to Ryan Madson‘s recent deal with the Angels. Madson will make a $3.5 million base salary in 2013 and could earn an additional $2.5 million in roster bonuses and another $1 million based on games finished.
Wilson, who turns 31 in March, has a 3.21 ERA and 171 saves over seven seasons in the majors. He’s expected to be cleared for spring training and Opening Day.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)