Dec 28, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Matt Garza didn’t make another start after July 19 this past season due to a stress reaction in his throwing elbow, but he’s hoping for better luck in 2013.
According to David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, Garza hasn’t had any issues with his elbow since he resumed throwing earlier this month. Barring any setbacks, he fully expects to be ready for the start of the season.
“If spring training started tomorrow, I would be ready to go,” he said. “I’m not ready to pitch six innings today, but I will be ready to go when the season starts. I will be ready to go Opening Day, that’s guaranteed.”
Garza was mentioned as a trade candidate prior to the injury and he could be on the block again if he proves his health during spring training. The 29-year-old right-hander is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter and can become a free agent following the 2013 season.
As of now, the Cubs’ rotation projects to include Garza, Jeff Samardzija and offseason additions Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman and Carlos Villanueva. Scott Baker was also signed this offseason, but he will likely begin the season on the disabled list as he continues to make his way back from Tommy John surgery.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)