Dec 28, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Matt Garza didn’t make another start after July 19 this past season due to a stress reaction in his throwing elbow, but he’s hoping for better luck in 2013.
According to David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, Garza hasn’t had any issues with his elbow since he resumed throwing earlier this month. Barring any setbacks, he fully expects to be ready for the start of the season.
“If spring training started tomorrow, I would be ready to go,” he said. “I’m not ready to pitch six innings today, but I will be ready to go when the season starts. I will be ready to go Opening Day, that’s guaranteed.”
Garza was mentioned as a trade candidate prior to the injury and he could be on the block again if he proves his health during spring training. The 29-year-old right-hander is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter and can become a free agent following the 2013 season.
As of now, the Cubs’ rotation projects to include Garza, Jeff Samardzija and offseason additions Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman and Carlos Villanueva. Scott Baker was also signed this offseason, but he will likely begin the season on the disabled list as he continues to make his way back from Tommy John surgery.
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 28
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 6
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)