Dec 28, 2012, 5:04 PM EST

Baseball news has totally ceased, it seems. So I present to you a picture my visiting brother found while rummaging around my basement.

The Polaroid — what we used for Instagram when I was a kid — is from 1983. The tall man in the tight polo is a former Tigers shortstop who should be in the Hall of Fame. The tall boy in the green shirt is an old family friend. I have no idea why (a) my brother is wearing a short-sleeved button down shirt and; (b) I really have no idea why I’m wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey because I never really liked the Dallas Cowboys.

Anyway:

source:

1. cur68 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Craig: When I was the same age as your brother I had the exact same shirt as he’s wearing. It looks as good on him as it did on me.

• dremmel69 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Had that exact plaid shirt when I was in grade school. Oh, the days you just wore whatever your mom handed you that day. Not like pre-teen boys cared much about fashion. Cooties were a much bigger concern.

• mcsnide - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Pretty sure we all had that shirt, though mine had snaps instead of buttons, iirc. Sears and Roebuck, baby. Oh, and toughskin jeans (the ones with the stiff, reinforced knees so you could go a week without your mom having to patch them). And golf shirts with alligators. It was much simpler to wear the “right” clothes in the 80’s than it is for my kids now.

• cur68 - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

This is what it means to get old, I guess. That hideous, brown, plaid, synthetic shirt is spoken of with fond tones and a wistful smile for days gone by when our mom’s dressed us. She did so with eye for “what will hide food stains the best and I can get clean in a hurry?” and to Pluto with fashion sense. We of course were too drugged with surging hormones and fear of cooties to even notice how bad we all looked and went along with it. besides it beat arguing with mom. Anyhow, everyone else was in brown plaid so it looked ok.

I miss those days.

But I wouldn’t be caught dead in that shirt now.

• historiophiliac - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

That shirt is the best one in the picture, and it is my opinion that most of y’all could still benefit from Garanimals.

• cur68 - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Nah, ‘philliac, I think Trammel’s is the best shirt. He had a bigger shirt budget, and presumably his mom wasn’t dressing him (Craig’s mom had a thing for Tony Dorsett, I see).

I sure hope I qualify for garanimals.

• historiophiliac - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Boooo!

/throws popcorn

2. hojo20 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Big Tony Dorsett fan I see.

3. lordd99 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

So is “old family friend” playing in the NBA now, because the looks to be as tall as Alan Trammel in that picture!

In my case, looking at pictures from when I was a kid probably draws a similar reaction you have looking at yours: Where did my hair go?

4. Lukehart80 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Kids who are into sports wind up with a lot of random sports stuff. A family member visits some other city and picks you up a souvenir, or a friend of the family gives you their old stuff. There’s not a lot of thought given to one’s favorite team in those type of situations. I probably had random clothing/memorabilia for a dozen different teams in my room when I was 12.

• Ben - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM

It’s weird, when I was a kid I hated memorabilia. It always seemed totemistic and tacky to me, even when I was young. Still pretty much feel that way. But boy did I love my baseball cards.

• mattyflex - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

There’s a picture at my parent’s house of me in a cheesehead. I have no recollection of acquiring nor wearing aforementioned fanwear. In hindsight, I may have started being a blackout drunkard at age six.

• Ben - Dec 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Comment of the day.

5. beefytrout - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

anti-DFW sports team bias intact!

6. townballblog - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Hahaha! Polaroid = Instagram. Very clever.

7. Old Gator - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I had the same Dallas Cowboys jersey. I also had the same splendid head of hair.

I no longer have the Dallas Cowboys jersey.

8. chaseutley - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I don’t buy it. Can’t be Craig. That kid has hair.

9. lazlosother - Dec 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Ah the memories. I’m a bit older than Craig and I remember having a pair of green and white plaid bell-bottoms. I wore them with a green golf shirt. The effect was hideous, and these of course were my favorites.

Thank God and nature for stupid youth.

10. schmedley69 - Dec 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I think that my Mom used the same bowl as a guide to cut my hair with that Craig’s Mom used on him.

11. charlutes - Dec 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

What is Craig smoking these days? Bro, write something on baseball, and please god stop whining about the hall of fame. Write a piece about the history of the knuckleball, write a bio on Bo Jackson, write a list of the best switch hitters in the game, anything baseball related please. Not steroids, not a column about how all the other baseball writers suck except you, just an actual baseball story that is actually interesting to non media members, please.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5237)
  2. M. Kemp (3112)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2806)
  4. C. McGehee (2801)