The Brewers sign Mike Gonzalez

Dec 28, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT

If teams want to spend the rest of the afternoon making minor bullpen signings I’d be just fine with that. I’m sorta watching “A Christmas Story” while scanning the baseball news, and these short things mesh well with that.  ["It 'twas ... soap ... poisoning!"]

Anyway:

Gonzalez appeared in 47 games for the Nationals last season, posting a 3.03 ERA and striking out 39 hitters in 35 and two-thirds innings of LOOGY work. A nice pickup to bolster what was a miserable Brewer bullpen this past season.

Oh, and be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

1. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I suppose I can’t fault you for watching Christmas Story 3 days after Christmas because I got caught by Mrs. BBB whistling “Rockin Around the Christmas Tree” while we were on the town last night…but you do lose points if you’re not watching Christmas Vacation right after.

• Gobias Industries - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Do you guys also go trick or treating on November 3?

• ezthinking - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, but the candy sucks.

2. philsieg - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’ve never been able to watch more than 20 minutes of A Christmas Story without rooting for Ralphie to get run over by a bus.

3. Chris K - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I see nothing about a signing here. Perhaps the Brewers and Gonzalez were having a heated debate and the Brewers finally conceded to his argument. Maybe it was even less exciting and Gonzalez opined on his opinion on what US foreign policy should be and the Brewers thrust their support behind him.

4. Jackson - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Did the Brewers triple dog dare him to stick his tongue to a pole?

5. paperlions - Dec 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM

There is almost no way this isn’t a far better signing that the Cardinal’s signing of Choate. It is probably for fewer years and dollars, Gonzalez is just as good vs lefties and FAR better versus righties than Choate.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet