Dec 29, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Nothing much has changed in negotiations between Adam LaRoche and the Nationals. While LaRoche wants a three-year deal, the Nationals aren’t willing to budge beyond two guaranteed years. With no resolution in sight, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post checked in with LaRoche yesterday for an update.
“We’re talking to a few other teams,” LaRoche said Friday evening in a voicemail. “Got to keep things open in case Washington doesn’t work out. I’m still hopeful that it will, but as you know it takes two sides cooperating to make that happen. I’m doing everything I can.”
One of the other teams reportedly involved is the Red Sox, though some have speculated that they have kept in touch in order to pressure Mike Napoli into signing a modified contract due to his hip issue. Signing LaRoche would cost the Red Sox their second round pick in 2013 and it’s unclear whether they would be willing to do that. Napoli wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Rangers, so he isn’t tied to draft pick compensation.
If the Nationals end up re-signing LaRoche, they are expected to listen to trade offers for Michael Morse. If LaRoche signs elsewhere, they would simply use Morse at first base.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)