Dillon Gee says surgery for blood clot has helped throwing

Dec 29, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT

dillon gee getty Getty Images

Dillon Gee is looking forward to a healthy 2013.

The 26-year-old right-hander told New York Daily News beat writer Anthony McCarron in a recent phone interview that his winter workouts are going smoothly and that he feels looser and more natural when he throws since having a blood clot removed in mid-July from an artery near his pitching shoulder.

“One of the things with my surgery we were hoping for was, by recouping some of the blood flow I had lost, that my recovery would be better and that seems to be the case so far,” said Gee. “I’m excited. The doctor said he was surprised I could recover every five days as it was, with the lack of blood and oxygen, so hopefully that will make it that much easier to bounce back after every start. You never know what the future holds, but we have a lot of positive signs going.”

Gee posted a solid 4.10 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 97/29 K/BB ratio across 109 2/3 innings this past season.

1. Carl Hancock - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Who?

2. kappy32 - Dec 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Dillon Gee is terrible. I’m a diehard Mets fan, but this guy is garbage. When you go to certain, unnamed “MetsBlog(s)” on the Internet, there are certain, unnamed (cough::MikeBaron::cough) bloggers who think Gee is a quality MLB pitcher. There are also numerous Mets fans who love this guy for no other reason than him being a “homegrown” player. You posted his stats at the end of the post, and contrary to what you said, there was nothing solid about them. The only thing that would help Gee would be a complete arm replacement. The fact Mets fans are content & see this guy as a piece of the Mets’ future just goes to show you how much Mets fans are content with mediocrity. Gee is a guaranteed loss every 5 days & I’m tired of seeing him. Sandy did a good job getting rid of that garbage catcher Josh Thole, now there are two more left to go: Lucas Duda & Dillon Gee. Once those two are gone & stop pretending to be major league players, ill be a happy Mets fan.

• chill1184 - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM

You sound like a WFAN caller who thinks Fatcessa is intelligent, seriously please stop. Gee currently is just a small downgrade from Niese (who’s own season was an improvement from 2011) and is only 26. The fact you want to give up on him after only after a season and half shows you don’t know how to evaluate pitchers.

3. thebadguyswon - Dec 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM

He’s far from terrible and the post showed you the metrics that prove it.

• kappy32 - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM

There’s something more important than the “metrics” that show me he is garbage & that’s the eye test. I’ve watched every single start of this guy’s career & he is terrible. He was glorified for not losing in his first 10 ML starts, but he also had run support of over 6 runs per game over that time. I don’t know what you consider good, but an ERA over 4.00 & a WHIP over 1.25 is not good under any definition of the meaning. Making matters worse, he has regressed as his career has gone on. Gee has been given enough big league time to know what he’s going to be & the stats he’s put up aren’t good, period. Going into 2012, he was being relied on to be their 3-4 starter, not their 5. The numbers are okay for a 5, stats that can easily be replicated by numerous pitchers. When you compare him to other 3-4 pitchers, his stats aren’t good. Going into this year the Mets are going to once again rely on him to be more than their 5th starter. 1. Santana; 2. Harvey; 3. Niese; 4. Gee; 5. Pavano/Myers/Marcum. Only when Zack Wheeler is called up will Gee be a 5th starter. He needs to improve to justify getting the ball every 5 days or else he could find himself DFA’d once Wheeler is called up. All I can hope for is that Collin Cowgill takes a solid hold on the LF job & Marcum/Pavano/Myers out-pitch Gee so both Duda & Gee will be cut loose at the same time. The Mets will not win anything so long as they rely on AAA-level players like Gee & Duda.

• paperlions - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Also failing the eye test, your understanding of baseball.

• dawgpoundmember - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

He was glorified for not losing his first 10 ML starts,

He played and started in 5 games his first year and went 2-2………..just stop

• thebadguyswon - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Yeah I don’t get your take at all. I’ve also watched him. Average fastball, decent slider and very good change up. He’s a back-end starter and a good one. He has well above-average command. If you’re that miserable being a Mets fan, switch to the Yanks.

• lightstarr - May 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM

I agree with you kappy32. I never really thought gee was that good and he’s been atrocious this year…he looks like a minor league pitcher at best. I wonder if any of the guys that were criticizing you still feel the dame way.

4. slobmykolb - Dec 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Kappy32,

I’m not gonna sit here and say definitively that you are wrong because I’ve never watched this guy pitch but I do have to say that by just looking at his numbers as a whole you “the Mets” could do much worse as a number 3 or 4 starter. Like I said tho I’ve never seen him pitch so I could be way off too

5. butchhuskey - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I’m a Mets fan and I can say that Dillon Gee is not terrible. In fact, I think he’s pretty reliable and consistent.

6. Carl Hancock - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Since when is an ERA over 4 considered solid?

• sdelmonte - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Since about 15 years ago? At least?

• paperlions - Dec 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

In 1992, Jack Morris finished 5th in MVP voting with a 4.04 ERA and had a career ERA of 3.90 while pitching in a low offense era. Obviously, a modern era of 4.10 is a borderline HOF quality performance.

7. romoscollarbone - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Kappy is partially right, I remember in 2011 Gee having a 9 start stretch where he didn’t lose.

8. yankeesgameday - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Lost in all of this discussion is the fact that this guy pitched with what is most likely a subclavial blood clot. That is a clot in the vein under your clavicle and it keeps blood flowing out of the arm. It causes swelling and pain. I had to have two surgeries to remove one in October. Now I face an even tougher follow up surgery in January at the UCLA Thoracic Department where they will remove a portion of my top most rib because it has been putting pressure on that vein and impeding the flow of blood.

Just the first two procedures I had took me two months to recover from and you have to stay on blood thinners for at least 6 months.

Blood thinners are no joke even for normal folk. You have to go get your levels checked once a week to make sure your levels don’t get too high because each person metabolizes them differently. Too high a number and you run the risk of internal bleeding and possibly stroke if that bleeding happens to occur in your brain.

And this guy PITCHED in the major leagues with all of that going on?! Do you have any idea how mentally and physically TOUGH you have to be to do something like that? Having the clot is painful, the blood thinners are dangerous for a pro athlete (what if he got hit in the head while pitching or at bat? He could die where someobe else could walk it off because of the meds he had to be on).

This guy needs to be praised, not torn apart.

9. dalucks - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

The Mets are better than people think especially if they can stay somewhat healthy and get some help in the bullpen.
    Signing Jose Valverde, Francisco Rodriguez and Matt Capps to veteran minimum or minor league deals would help that alot.
    Also, signing Delmon Young would be a good veteran addition to the outfield, especially if he can be signed to a veteran minimum deal or a minor league deal. Considering the winter meeting are long done along with the big money contract signing means it is possible.

10. exibitsman - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM

the METS will have a solid pitching
    staff this hopefully gee returns healthy.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3820)