Dec 29, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
The Marlins aggressively pursued Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes last offseason before he landed a four-year, $36 million deal from the Athletics, but the club has taken a decidedly different approach this winter, shedding big names while putting a focus on stockpiling prospects and fielding a team on the cheap. That’s why it comes as no surprise that Joe Frisaro of MLB.com hears that the Marlins have “zero interest” in Cuban free agents Dariel Alvarez and Aledmys Diaz.
Alvarez, a 24-year-old outfielder, and Diaz, a 22-year-old shortstop, were both declared free agents earlier this month and are slated to work out for MLB scouts on January 5. Here’s a snippet from a profile by MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez:
Known for his ability to hit for power and average, Diaz is considered an average runner with an above-average arm. He is closer to Major League-ready of the two prospects.
Alvarez, a right-handed hitter who played for Camaguey in Serie Nacional, defected from Cuba last summer and has been playing professionally in Vera Cruz, Mexico, since October. The 6-foot-2, 190 pound Alvarez can play all three outfield positions and has impressed Major League scouts with his above-average arm during league-play in Mexico.
According to the new collective bargaining agreement, Cuban players who are at least 23 years old and have played at least three seasons in a Cuban professional league are not subject to the international spending cap. Diaz turns 23 on January 8 and isn’t expected to sign before then, so teams will be free to pursue either player as they would any other free agent.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)