Dec 29, 2012, 10:28 AM EST
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Mets are “scouring” the market for bullpen help. He mentions Jose Valverde, Francisco Rodriguez and Matt Capps among those still available, but it’s unclear whether the Mets have any interest in those specific pitchers.
Frank Francisco had surgery earlier this month to remove a bone spur from his pitching elbow, but he’s expected to be ready for spring training. Still, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson could add an alternative for the ninth inning if the right opportunity arises. The Mets put most of their resources last offseason into upgrading their bullpen and they were worse in 2012 than they were in 2011, so they’ll likely look for last-minute bargains and hope for the best.
As of now, Francisco projects to open the season as the closer while Bobby Parnell will be the primary set-up man. The rest of the bullpen is a bit of a question mark, as they will likely be relying on youngsters like Josh Edgin, Jeurys Familia and Robert Carson to take on more prominent roles. Greg Burke, who was signed to a minor league contract in November and has since been added to the 40-man roster, should also be in the mix.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)