Dec 29, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Mets are “scouring” the market for bullpen help. He mentions Jose Valverde, Francisco Rodriguez and Matt Capps among those still available, but it’s unclear whether the Mets have any interest in those specific pitchers.
Frank Francisco had surgery earlier this month to remove a bone spur from his pitching elbow, but he’s expected to be ready for spring training. Still, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson could add an alternative for the ninth inning if the right opportunity arises. The Mets put most of their resources last offseason into upgrading their bullpen and they were worse in 2012 than they were in 2011, so they’ll likely look for last-minute bargains and hope for the best.
As of now, Francisco projects to open the season as the closer while Bobby Parnell will be the primary set-up man. The rest of the bullpen is a bit of a question mark, as they will likely be relying on youngsters like Josh Edgin, Jeurys Familia and Robert Carson to take on more prominent roles. Greg Burke, who was signed to a minor league contract in November and has since been added to the 40-man roster, should also be in the mix.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 18
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)