Dec 29, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko provides the scoop:
Executive vice president Dan Duquette remains in contact with left-hander Joe Saunders‘ agent. Some members of the national media keep trying to link the Orioles to Kyle Lohse, but they don’t give out big contracts to free-agent pitchers and they’d rather hold onto their first-round pick.
Lohse registered a stellar 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season with the Cardinals, but the 34-year-old hasn’t been able to attract much interest this winter because of the draft pick compensation and because there is a perception that he will struggle away from St. Louis — where he revitalized his career under former pitching coach Dave Duncan.
Saunders, 31, posted a 4.07 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 174 2/3 innings (28 starts) between the Diamondbacks and Orioles in 2012. He has been linked so far this offseason to the O’s, Mets, Mariners and Padres.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)