Dec 29, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
MASN’s Roch Kubatko provides the scoop:
Executive vice president Dan Duquette remains in contact with left-hander Joe Saunders‘ agent. Some members of the national media keep trying to link the Orioles to Kyle Lohse, but they don’t give out big contracts to free-agent pitchers and they’d rather hold onto their first-round pick.
Lohse registered a stellar 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season with the Cardinals, but the 34-year-old hasn’t been able to attract much interest this winter because of the draft pick compensation and because there is a perception that he will struggle away from St. Louis — where he revitalized his career under former pitching coach Dave Duncan.
Saunders, 31, posted a 4.07 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 174 2/3 innings (28 starts) between the Diamondbacks and Orioles in 2012. He has been linked so far this offseason to the O’s, Mets, Mariners and Padres.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)