Dec 29, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko provides the scoop:
Executive vice president Dan Duquette remains in contact with left-hander Joe Saunders‘ agent. Some members of the national media keep trying to link the Orioles to Kyle Lohse, but they don’t give out big contracts to free-agent pitchers and they’d rather hold onto their first-round pick.
Lohse registered a stellar 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season with the Cardinals, but the 34-year-old hasn’t been able to attract much interest this winter because of the draft pick compensation and because there is a perception that he will struggle away from St. Louis — where he revitalized his career under former pitching coach Dave Duncan.
Saunders, 31, posted a 4.07 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 174 2/3 innings (28 starts) between the Diamondbacks and Orioles in 2012. He has been linked so far this offseason to the O’s, Mets, Mariners and Padres.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (197)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)