Picture of the Day: Something looks different at Yankee Stadium

Dec 29, 2012, 5:30 PM EST

Courtesy of the official Twitter account of the Yankees, here’s what Yankee Stadium looked like in the hours leading up to today’s Pinstripe Bowl football game between Syracuse and West Virginia.

source:

What you can’t see are the Yankees players telling those pesky college kids to get off their lawn. In all seriousness, baseball will be played on that field again just a little over three months from now. On a day like today, it still feels miles away.

1. chill1184 - Dec 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Go Syracuse!

• dondada10 - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Are you an alumni? I graduated in 07. A lot of Cuse guys are Mets fans.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

That picture brings back memories of Syracuse greats, Jim Brown and Ernie Davis.

3. historiophiliac - Dec 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

What. The. Hell?????

• raysfan1 - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

The West Virginia team looked like that was their reaction too,

• historiophiliac - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I guess they lost then. What’s a pinstripe bowl?

• raysfan1 - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

indeed they did lose, and it was ugly for them. Fortunately, Im not a Mountaineers fan.

The Pinstripe Bowl is a relatively minor college football bowl game sponsored by New Era and played in Yankee Stadium since 2010. The reason for the name “Pinstripe Bowl” should be self-evident based on the venue.

• Caught Looking - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

You mean it’s named after the investment banker suits that are the ones that can afford the seats in the Legends section?

• jwbiii - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Big East #4 v. Big 12 #7. Always a thriller.

• historiophiliac - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Well, that does not bode well for the Big whatever we are now — 12, 11, 8.5…

All these new consolation prize bowls are dumb. (And, I’m pretty sure my school is in one.)

• jwbiii - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The Big 12 now has ten teams and the Big 10 now has twelve teams. Go figure.

• raysfan1 - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The Big 10 is soon to have 14 teams.

There definitely are too many bowl games, and as long as the TV money is there, it won’t change. This although I went to one myself this AM (Armed Forces Bowl–enjoyed myself even though the “wrong team” won).

• indaburg - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

What’s that white stuff?

• raysfan1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Whipped cream.

4. jdrew506 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I saw a bit of the armed forces bowl on tv. What I don’t get is how can the armed forces bowl have a team in it that is not in the armed forces? Seems like that should just be for the schools of the armed forces but that is just my opinion.

• raysfan1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

The primary sponsor, Bell Helicopters, named the game thus to honor the military. The game has a contractual arrangement with Conference USA, which has no military academy teams. The Naval Academy has an agreement with the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, so they went there (and got hammered by Arizona State). Northrup Grumman now also sponsors a bowl–the Military Bowl, which has an agreement with Army, but they did not win enough games to go to a bowl–so the Military Bowl had no military team this year. The three service academies play each other every year already, so it is very unlikely that any bowl will want to set up a rematch.

5. modellforprez - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

O-R-A-N-G-E. could never be more proud of the orange. sending the Hicks back to the sticks. Eat shit Hick Eat shit Hick. Mrs. Dana holgorsen is finished.

6. jaylaw01 - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

raysfan1, I think you have your Bowls confused and it’s easy to do with so many but Navy got whacked by ASU in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco, not the Pointsetta Bowl in San Diego.

• historiophiliac - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Seriously? A “Fight Hunger Bowl”???? Jesus, God, just go to a tournament already.

• raysfan1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Jatlaw–My bad, you’re right.

‘Philiac–college football will have a 4 team playoff starting two years from now, but will still have more bowls than you can shake a stick at. The minor bowls also change names every time there is a new sponsor, just to keep it confusing. Add to that the insane levels of realignment going on, and you have to have a manual just to keep track of it all.

• historiophiliac - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I blame Boone Pickens, et al for this crap. Obviously, I don’t put that much work into keeping up with it. Really, if it’s not Rose, Cotton or Orange, it’s meaningless to me. Still, renting out Stankee Stadium for this kind of thing is like renting the Ritz for a cute baby contest. (PS I had to think a really long time to come up with a comparison that was not too rude to say in public.)

• raysfan1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM

My understanding is this was part of the deal in building the new YS.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester