Dec 29, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that former MLB reliever Ugueth Urbina was released from prison after serving a little over half of his 14-year sentence for the attempted murder of five workers on his family’s ranch in his native Venezuela. Now he’s ready to embark on an unlikely comeback attempt.
In a story that was published on the website for the Caracas Lions, a Venezuelan Winter League team, Urbina threw a bullpen session yesterday and expressed hope to pitch for the club soon.
“The idea is to return this year. The mechanics are not very good, but that’s normal. The important thing is that my arm is healthy.”
According to the Associated Press, Urbina aims to professionally in the United States again, but said his “first order of business is pitching in Venezuela.” We can probably file his comeback under “never say never,” but one wonders if he could have trouble obtaining a visa to come to the United States after his legal issues.
Urbina posted a 3.45 ERA and 237 saves from 1995 through 2005, making stops with the Expos, Red Sox, Rangers, Marlins, Tigers and Phillies. He was 31 at the time of his incarceration and will turn 39 in February.
May 4, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
The Selig rule requires that requires that every club consider minority candidates for manager positions. There really wasn’t a search for Ron Roenicke’s replacement in Milwaukee.
May 4, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
0-4 with a 6.29 ERA.
May 4, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Milwaukee now has the guy who had easily the best batting stance of any current manager.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Nearly a month ago Hardy was said to be “close” to starting a rehab stint.
May 4, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Seven errors in 21 games.
May 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He says “it’s family business” and that “the old A-Rod is gone.”
May 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
This is getting ridiculous.
May 4, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
This is the shortest post in the history of HBT.
May 4, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
And noting how the Yankees can and do sell everything that isn’t nailed down but somehow can’t figure out how to market home run number 660.
May 4, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
“I got it”
May 4, 2015, 7:24 AM EDT
Some late-inning heroics. Extra-innings heroics, actually. Like baseball is some kind of gosh darned after hours club or something.
May 4, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
The Brewers acted quickly to find a new manager after firing Ron Roenicke on Sunday night.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired first baseman Andy Wilkins from the Blue Jays and designated Scott Baker for assignment on Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
The Padres are expected to promote catching prospect Austin Hedges on Monday.
May 3, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The Athletics released Cody Ross on Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Ron Roenicke is the first casualty of the Brewers’ poor start to the season.
May 3, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Would Joe Mauer better serve the Twins in the leadoff spot?
May 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
White Sox manager Robin Ventura has taken some heat for the team’s slow start, but first baseman Jose Abreu stuck up for him.
May 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Jean Segura was hit in the head by a pitch attempting to bunt. Thankfully, he appears to be okay.
May 3, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
The Cardinals won again in walk-off fashion and now own baseball’s best record.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 24
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 133
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (134)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)