Dec 29, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that former MLB reliever Ugueth Urbina was released from prison after serving a little over half of his 14-year sentence for the attempted murder of five workers on his family’s ranch in his native Venezuela. Now he’s ready to embark on an unlikely comeback attempt.
In a story that was published on the website for the Caracas Lions, a Venezuelan Winter League team, Urbina threw a bullpen session yesterday and expressed hope to pitch for the club soon.
“The idea is to return this year. The mechanics are not very good, but that’s normal. The important thing is that my arm is healthy.”
According to the Associated Press, Urbina aims to professionally in the United States again, but said his “first order of business is pitching in Venezuela.” We can probably file his comeback under “never say never,” but one wonders if he could have trouble obtaining a visa to come to the United States after his legal issues.
Urbina posted a 3.45 ERA and 237 saves from 1995 through 2005, making stops with the Expos, Red Sox, Rangers, Marlins, Tigers and Phillies. He was 31 at the time of his incarceration and will turn 39 in February.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
We often take intentional walks for granted. Four tosses to the catcher. How hard can it be? Pretty hard, at least sometimes.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this advice for hitting knuckleballers before: If it’s low, let it go. If it’s high, let it fly. Well, Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval took that to the extreme tonight against R.A. Dickey of the Blue Jays…
Jun 29, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Of course that happened.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Khris Davis needed surgery about a month ago for a torn meniscus in his right knee.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that the Dodgers and Cubs were among the teams with interest in a trade for Mets left-hander Jon Niese.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
Ramirez has been cleared to swing a bat and Red Sox manager John Farrell is optimistic that he’ll be able to return during the team’s four-game series in Toronto this week.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Moore had Tommy John surgery last April.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Casilla has mostly played at the Triple-A level for the past two seasons.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Cron hit well at Triple-A, batting .323 with six homers and a 1.014 OPS.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
It’ll only cost you a cool $3.8 million.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
More bad health news for a guy who has had his fair share of it in his brief career.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
As of now, Ruben Amaro is in control here, in the White House. Er, I mean in the Phillies’ front office.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Six of the eight spots seem all but settled.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
By this time next week we may have an actually acceptable All-Star squad for the Junior Circuit.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
I know which one I’d choose, but then again I’m biased on the subject.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Alejandro De Aza is starting in his place.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
He will become President, overseeing baseball and business operations, at the end of the season.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Billingsley has missed six weeks.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t just the Giants who signed on to the amicus brief.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)