Dec 29, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that former MLB reliever Ugueth Urbina was released from prison after serving a little over half of his 14-year sentence for the attempted murder of five workers on his family’s ranch in his native Venezuela. Now he’s ready to embark on an unlikely comeback attempt.
In a story that was published on the website for the Caracas Lions, a Venezuelan Winter League team, Urbina threw a bullpen session yesterday and expressed hope to pitch for the club soon.
“The idea is to return this year. The mechanics are not very good, but that’s normal. The important thing is that my arm is healthy.”
According to the Associated Press, Urbina aims to professionally in the United States again, but said his “first order of business is pitching in Venezuela.” We can probably file his comeback under “never say never,” but one wonders if he could have trouble obtaining a visa to come to the United States after his legal issues.
Urbina posted a 3.45 ERA and 237 saves from 1995 through 2005, making stops with the Expos, Red Sox, Rangers, Marlins, Tigers and Phillies. He was 31 at the time of his incarceration and will turn 39 in February.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
He’s spent this season at Triple-A, batting .260 with 13 homers and 11 steals.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Time for a little Loria bashing to brighten up your Monday.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Not a bad draw for him, as he has owned the Twins this season.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Viciedo is still just 26 years old.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Using your closer in the seventh or eighth inning may be a good idea, but Mike Matheny says that it’s not that simple.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 draft
Aug 3, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Kaiser Carlile was retrieving a bat and was wearing a helmet.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT
Ventura went after the Jays’ slugger on Twitter, but then deleted the tweets.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
120 of the 650 voters will be cut from the rolls.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 AM EDT
Lots of walkoffs, lots of guys throwing at other guys and, oh yeah, the Mets are in first place.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Dan Haren sounds pretty set on retiring after the season, but left open the possibility he’d pitch beyond 2015.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett is prepared to pitch through an elbow injury if necessary.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
The Blue Jays and Royals weren’t very friendly to each other on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Cincinnati hosted one of two benches-clearing incidents in baseball on Sunday.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)