Dec 30, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has pieced together a nice retrospective on the Nationals’ late-April decision to promote Bryce Harper — the process and thinking that went into it, and quotes from Nats general manager Mike Rizzo about how it all played out. It’s worth the long read on a weekend without very much baseball news. Here’s a snippet:
On April 25, as the team he assembled prepared to play across the country in San Diego, Washington Nationals General Manager Mike Rizzo milled around a batting cage in Rochester, N.Y. He had flown from Washington the previous day with an intention he shared with few others, one of the organization’s most crucial tasks in 2012.
As the Syracuse Chiefs took batting practice, Bryce Harper spotted Rizzo and shook his hand.
“You’re here to bring me to the big leagues,” Harper said to Rizzo. “Aren’t you?”
Harper wound up batting .270/.340/.477 with 22 home runs and 18 steals in 139 games for Washington. The 20-year-old was named a National League All-Star in July and won Rookie of the Year honors in November.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)