Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM EST
Kudos to John Fay for not sending in a blank Hall of Fame ballot which actively harms candidates, but this is still rather depressing:
I simply can’t do it. I put off mailing in my 2013 Hall of Fame ballot until today’s deadline. It will not be sent … At some point last night, I made up my mind that I would vote Bonds and Clemens on basis that they would have been Hall of Famers if they used PEDs or not … But this morning, I was too torn to pull the lever.
In the past, Fay has voted for guys like Tim Raines, Fred McGriff, Larry Walker and Lee Smith. Now, because Bonds and Clemens vex him, those guys won’t be getting votes either.
If Fay feels this way, why does he simply not vote for Bonds and Clemens?
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 24
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 30
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)