Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Kudos to John Fay for not sending in a blank Hall of Fame ballot which actively harms candidates, but this is still rather depressing:
I simply can’t do it. I put off mailing in my 2013 Hall of Fame ballot until today’s deadline. It will not be sent … At some point last night, I made up my mind that I would vote Bonds and Clemens on basis that they would have been Hall of Famers if they used PEDs or not … But this morning, I was too torn to pull the lever.
In the past, Fay has voted for guys like Tim Raines, Fred McGriff, Larry Walker and Lee Smith. Now, because Bonds and Clemens vex him, those guys won’t be getting votes either.
If Fay feels this way, why does he simply not vote for Bonds and Clemens?
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 25
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)