Dec 31, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Speier also notes that they had Abreu do some reps at first base, where the 38-year-old has never played even an inning in 17 big-league seasons.
Mike Napoli‘s three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox remains unsigned, but even if that somehow falls apart it’d be a pretty big stretch to think they viewed Abreu as an actual fallback plan there.
As a potential bench bat, though, he still has some value thanks to strong on-base skills. Last season Abreu hit .242 with a .350 on-base percentage in 100 games for the Angels and Dodgers, and he’s posted an OBP above .350 in 15 consecutive seasons.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)