Dec 31, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Speier also notes that they had Abreu do some reps at first base, where the 38-year-old has never played even an inning in 17 big-league seasons.
Mike Napoli‘s three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox remains unsigned, but even if that somehow falls apart it’d be a pretty big stretch to think they viewed Abreu as an actual fallback plan there.
As a potential bench bat, though, he still has some value thanks to strong on-base skills. Last season Abreu hit .242 with a .350 on-base percentage in 100 games for the Angels and Dodgers, and he’s posted an OBP above .350 in 15 consecutive seasons.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 95
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)