Dec 31, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
Speier also notes that they had Abreu do some reps at first base, where the 38-year-old has never played even an inning in 17 big-league seasons.
Mike Napoli‘s three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox remains unsigned, but even if that somehow falls apart it’d be a pretty big stretch to think they viewed Abreu as an actual fallback plan there.
As a potential bench bat, though, he still has some value thanks to strong on-base skills. Last season Abreu hit .242 with a .350 on-base percentage in 100 games for the Angels and Dodgers, and he’s posted an OBP above .350 in 15 consecutive seasons.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)