Dec 31, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
Speier also notes that they had Abreu do some reps at first base, where the 38-year-old has never played even an inning in 17 big-league seasons.
Mike Napoli‘s three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox remains unsigned, but even if that somehow falls apart it’d be a pretty big stretch to think they viewed Abreu as an actual fallback plan there.
As a potential bench bat, though, he still has some value thanks to strong on-base skills. Last season Abreu hit .242 with a .350 on-base percentage in 100 games for the Angels and Dodgers, and he’s posted an OBP above .350 in 15 consecutive seasons.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)