Dec 31, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
We first heard whispers of this in early November, but ESPN Deportes is reporting that, yes, Javier Vazquez is considering a comeback. The report — roughly translated, since we have misplaced our babelfish — says that Vazquez is interested in pitching for a contender this season, but doesn’t plan on making any decisions until after the World Baseball Classic.
Given the kind of scratch pitchers are making these days, and given that Vazuqez left the game following the 2011 season in fine form (13-11, 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 162/50 K/BB ratio in 192.2 innings), you have to figure that he would draw considerable interest should he decide to give it a whirl.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 48
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)