Dec 31, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
We first heard whispers of this in early November, but ESPN Deportes is reporting that, yes, Javier Vazquez is considering a comeback. The report — roughly translated, since we have misplaced our babelfish — says that Vazquez is interested in pitching for a contender this season, but doesn’t plan on making any decisions until after the World Baseball Classic.
Given the kind of scratch pitchers are making these days, and given that Vazuqez left the game following the 2011 season in fine form (13-11, 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 162/50 K/BB ratio in 192.2 innings), you have to figure that he would draw considerable interest should he decide to give it a whirl.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)