Dec 31, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
We first heard whispers of this in early November, but ESPN Deportes is reporting that, yes, Javier Vazquez is considering a comeback. The report — roughly translated, since we have misplaced our babelfish — says that Vazquez is interested in pitching for a contender this season, but doesn’t plan on making any decisions until after the World Baseball Classic.
Given the kind of scratch pitchers are making these days, and given that Vazuqez left the game following the 2011 season in fine form (13-11, 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 162/50 K/BB ratio in 192.2 innings), you have to figure that he would draw considerable interest should he decide to give it a whirl.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (170)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)