Dec 31, 2012, 7:49 PM EST
Big news on this New Year’s Eve.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed infielder Miguel Tejada to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. He’ll get $1.1 million if he makes the club. Dave Skretta of the Associated Press was the first to break the news of the signing.
Tejada, 38, batted .259/.325/.296 with zero homers and a .621 OPS in 36 games with the Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate last season. He had a .239/.270/.326 batting line over 91 games with the Giants during his last stint in the majors in 2011. Chances are he doesn’t have anything left in the tank, but the Royals apparently liked what they saw from him in the Dominican Winter League.
UPDATE: Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press was told by Tejada and his agent that it’s a guaranteed deal. Meanwhile, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he’ll be added to the 40-man roster when the club clears space. This one is officially a head-scratcher.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)