Dec 31, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Big news on this New Year’s Eve.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed infielder Miguel Tejada to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. He’ll get $1.1 million if he makes the club. Dave Skretta of the Associated Press was the first to break the news of the signing.
Tejada, 38, batted .259/.325/.296 with zero homers and a .621 OPS in 36 games with the Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate last season. He had a .239/.270/.326 batting line over 91 games with the Giants during his last stint in the majors in 2011. Chances are he doesn’t have anything left in the tank, but the Royals apparently liked what they saw from him in the Dominican Winter League.
UPDATE: Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press was told by Tejada and his agent that it’s a guaranteed deal. Meanwhile, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he’ll be added to the 40-man roster when the club clears space. This one is officially a head-scratcher.
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 14
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 88
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery