Dec 31, 2012, 7:49 PM EST
Big news on this New Year’s Eve.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed infielder Miguel Tejada to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. He’ll get $1.1 million if he makes the club. Dave Skretta of the Associated Press was the first to break the news of the signing.
Tejada, 38, batted .259/.325/.296 with zero homers and a .621 OPS in 36 games with the Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate last season. He had a .239/.270/.326 batting line over 91 games with the Giants during his last stint in the majors in 2011. Chances are he doesn’t have anything left in the tank, but the Royals apparently liked what they saw from him in the Dominican Winter League.
UPDATE: Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press was told by Tejada and his agent that it’s a guaranteed deal. Meanwhile, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he’ll be added to the 40-man roster when the club clears space. This one is officially a head-scratcher.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)