Dec 31, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Big news on this New Year’s Eve.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed infielder Miguel Tejada to a minor league contract with a spring training invite. He’ll get $1.1 million if he makes the club. Dave Skretta of the Associated Press was the first to break the news of the signing.
Tejada, 38, batted .259/.325/.296 with zero homers and a .621 OPS in 36 games with the Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate last season. He had a .239/.270/.326 batting line over 91 games with the Giants during his last stint in the majors in 2011. Chances are he doesn’t have anything left in the tank, but the Royals apparently liked what they saw from him in the Dominican Winter League.
UPDATE: Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press was told by Tejada and his agent that it’s a guaranteed deal. Meanwhile, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that he’ll be added to the 40-man roster when the club clears space. This one is officially a head-scratcher.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)