Dec 31, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Chavez had a nice bounceback season with the Rangers in 2011 after missing all of 2010, but then hit just .203 with a .515 OPS in 64 games for the Orioles this year.
He also hit just .147 in 15 games at Triple-A and turns 35 years old in February, so Chavez is purely backup outfielder material.
UPDATE: It’s a minor-league deal, not surprisingly.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 41
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)