Dec 31, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Chavez had a nice bounceback season with the Rangers in 2011 after missing all of 2010, but then hit just .203 with a .515 OPS in 64 games for the Orioles this year.
He also hit just .147 in 15 games at Triple-A and turns 35 years old in February, so Chavez is purely backup outfielder material.
UPDATE: It’s a minor-league deal, not surprisingly.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)