Why Torii Hunter’s comments about having a gay teammate matter

Dec 31, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

Torii Hunter AP AP

As we noted yesterday, Torii Hunter was quoted in the Los Angeles Times saying that having a gay teammate would be “difficult and uncomfortable” for him because such a person is anathema to his religion.

A fairly popular response to these comments is, basically, “hey, it’s just his opinion, man.” Hunter is merely speaking his mind (as we sportswriters all wish more athletes would), and how dare we jump on a guy for merely saying how he feels? A more specific version of that response is to say that Hunter is entitled to his own religious/political/social convictions, and that we shouldn’t criticize a guy for them, even if we personally disagree.

Baloney. Hunter’s views on homosexuality and his right to speak his mind are a red herring. Totally beside the point. Indeed, one can agree 100% with Hunter’s religious views and/or his take on gay people and still find his comments here out of line. Not because of political, religious or social reasons, but purely for baseball reasons. His comments suggest he’s a bad teammate.

Hunter is essentially telling past, present and/or future gay teammates — which there likely have been, are, or will be on teams for which Hunter plays — he has a problem with them despite them never actually butting heads with him on any matter. And he’s doing so in the press, not one-on-one. Try to think of any other situation in which that would be considered acceptable from a clubhouse/professionalism standpoint:

• “For me, as a Mike Scioscia guy … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who manages differently than Mike Scioscia because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as a guy who thinks pitchers should bean guys after home runs … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who doesn’t bean a guy after he hits a home run because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as a guy who thinks it’s OK to steal signs … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who doesn’t steal signs because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as a hitter who uses all fields … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who always tries to pull the ball because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as guy who always gives interviews … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who doesn’t talk to the media, because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as an Arkansan … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone from Texas because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
  • “For me, as a pop music fan … I will be uncomfortable playing with someone who listens to country music in the clubhouse because it’s not right. It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”

If any player said stuff like that to the press, people would be all over him. Not because of the substance of the opinion — what kind of music Hunter listens too is between him and his ears — but because he is unnecessarily alienating teammates. He, as a well-respected veteran, is signaling that some stuff will fly with him and some stuff won’t, and preemptively saying that teammates who don’t adhere to his view of the world are going to have a much harder time with him. We would never find that acceptable.

And so it goes for these comments too. Even if you think homosexuality is an abomination (I don’t), and even if you think Hunter has the absolute right, as a citizen, to say what he wants about it (I do), the fact that he is calling out potential — and possibly actual — teammates in the press in a negative light is significant for baseball purposes. Teams expect players to put aside their differences and come together as a unit. When they are unable to do that, teams expect the matter to be handled in-house, among players, and not have the conflicts aired in the media.

Here, however, we have a player publicly telling teammates that he’s going to have a hard time with them and that, as a result, they are going to be less welcome in a Torii Hunter-led clubhouse than others. And if you’re the Detroit Tigers, this should bother you.

201 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mattyflex - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM

For me, as a guy who enjoys baseball, I will be uncomfortable reading about these things over and over because in my community, sexual orientation is not an issue. It will be difficult and uncomfortable to continue clicking on these articles going forward.

• indaburg - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Did someone kidnap you and force you click on this and read it? Are you under duress? Do you want me to send help? I’m worried.

• mattyflex - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM

No. It was just the first article for the day, and it was the first I had heard about his comments, so I read it.

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Burgie, he’s joking. More coffee!

And, for me, as a person who enjoys baseball, I am always uncomfortable around football heathens and hockey hooligans. I will not repent!

• indaburg - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM

He’s joking? What a coincidence! Me too. :-)

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Ok, good, that coffee’s mine then. (Clearly, I am hungover from drowning my breakup sorrows.)

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:39 AM

That’s it, we are quits, don’t reply to any more of my comments. I LOVE LOVE LOVE football, am an unapologetic football fanatic and long-time fantasy football addict. I would be uncomfortable having conversations with such an anti-football bigot (not really B-) ).

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM

What? Paper, I had no idea you were bi. Sorry to offend. (But secretly, in my heart I judge you.) Please tell me it’s college ball at least…

• indaburg - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM

In retrospect, it was a bad joke. I’m brewing the coffee as we speak.

My SO is a huge football fan so I have to tolerate the heathens.

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Nah, it is mostly pro ball. I watch some college, but the vast majority of games are such horrible mis-matches in talent that they provide little entertainment. Sorry.

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Man, I am awash in breakups the last 24 hours. I seriously don’t think I’ve watched a pro football game since Randy White played — or Danny White. One of those White dudes.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Fight! Fight! Fight!

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You know, football has had 9 openly gay players (Ben Gay, Billy Gay, Blenda Gay, Chet Gay, Everett Gay, Matt Gay, Randall Gay, William Howard Gay, and William Gay), and baseball has had zero; therefore football > baseball

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Did you just say “>”??!!!!! I think you should be banned from baseball…shunned from the baseball community. That’s heresy, Sir. (and you don’t even deserve the “Sir”!)

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Its sad when couples fall apart, eh? Somewhere, Babi’s crying for his parents.

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM

*BAMBI!!! not “Babi”….Jeez. All I want for next year is an edit function.

Anyhow, all this secularism in sports is what’s ruining blogs.

2. shawndc04 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM

You nailed this one, Craig.

3. Old Gator - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM

For me, as a guy who doesn’t like homophobes regardless of their excuses for it, watching Torii Hunter and any other bigots like him continue to point to their fairy tales as justification for their ignorance while they’re being buried by social progress is very gratifying.

• stercuilus65 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM

For me it’s very gratifying to read posts like this because it shows what pretentious, holier-than-thou dicks that people are who throw out the “homophobe” label every time somebody dare say something that disagrees with the hard left orthodoxy. Good luck with your ignorance!

4. danaking - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Let’s look at some context. Hunter has a reputation of being an excellent clubhouse guy. He didn’t say he wouldn’t play with an openly gay teammate, or that he’d ostracize him. He said it would be “difficult and uncomfortable” for him personally. He didn’t say he wouldn’t make an effort to get past that. We’ve all been in situations we anticipated would be “difficult and uncomfortable.” The true mark of a person’s character is how he rises above that. let’s give Hunter that opportunity before we start piling on him. Frankly, I’d rather he was open about his feelings than denying them publicly, which might well make it harder for him to get past them.

(For the record, sexual orientation is not an issue to me. I have a couple of close friends who are gay, i voted in favor of Maryland’s gay marriage law, and I’m still boycotting Chick Fil-A for their foundation’s position on gay rights. I just think Hunter is entitled to his opportunity to grow.)

• Charles Gates - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The true mark of a person’s character is how he rises above that.
      Which means not calling out a team mate past, present or future and citing that it would cause locker room strife.

• Sign Ahead - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

When he made his foolish, bigoted statement, Hunter failed to “rise above” his prejudice. The best he can do now is “make up for it”. There’s still a chance for him to redeem his character, but what he’s shown so far is less than impressive.

• meadowsm1989 - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Not really. This is the same guy that called black players from the Caribbean, “impostors”. Not only is he racist, now he is a bigot, too. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not have someone with more extreme social stances than my grandpa hanging out in the clubhouse…

• kirkvanhouten - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

” The true mark of a person’s character is how he rises above that. let’s give Hunter that opportunity before we start piling on him.”

This is ridiculous. Hunter already had the opportunity when he was asked this question. He made his opinions clear: if you are gay, I am not with you, I am uncomfortable around.

Frankly, his comments are disgusting in inexcusable. Discrimination is discrimination. His religion tells him gays are evil, so he gets a pass? Well, guess what Torii, people have also used religion to discriminate against African-Americans. How would you feel if someone pulled out the religion excuse for saying why they are uncomfortable with a black teammate?!?! Or go home and tell your wife tomorrow that the bible says she is totally subservient to you (as many claim)…get ready for a punch to the eye!

This is not an attack on religion, but the same book is interprated by many different people to mean many different things. You don’t get to hide your beliefs behind it. And if this is what Torii Hunter thinks, he is a piss poor excuse of a person.

5. dalucks - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM

This is not a story. Torii expressed his opinion without using a gay slur, without bullying any gay people or without saying he would harm any gay people. I understand his viewpoint. This does not make him a bad teammate. I appreciate his honesty. As long as Torii produces on the field and lives up to his contract then he will remain a good teammate.

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Isn’t telling someone that they would be unwelcome (which is exactly what he is saying) passive-aggressive bullying?

• Mark - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

He said it wasn’t right that people were gay. Maybe you missed that part, but part of what he said is that it’s essentially wrong for people to be gay.

It does make him a bad teammate, and it makes him a bad person for saying that.

Let’s not forget 50-60 years ago we’d be saying the exact same things about black players. Remember how Jackie was receiving death threats for playing baseball simply because he was black? Because he was considered different? I bet his teammates felt that it might be “uncomfortable” playing with black players too.

But we’ve made progress since then. Because African American players like Torii Hunter can now play baseball without the fear of death threats. Without the fear that as an African American, Hunter would be considered different by his teammates.

So it’s just especially damning that Hunter, despite all the opportunities he’s been provided for, is saying that another group, in this case based on sexual preference, will be difficult to play with.

And once again, let’s not forget that Hunter made it perfectly clear that he thinks being gay is “not right”.

6. bjadw - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Another bogus written article. If somebody commented the other way, saying they’re uncomfortable playing with tori because of his religious convictions, this wouldn’t be a big deal at all. 2-way street.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You’re 100% wrong. If a player said that about Hunter or any other religious player, the criticism of this article would apply 100%.

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I deal with adults that still have imaginary friends nearly every day and accept them all equally, regardless of which imaginary friend (if any) they have.

• jarathen - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Somehow, I even work with them! It’s crazy!

7. historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM

P.S. EVERYONE should be uncomfortable playing with someone from Texas! That’s why God gave us the Red River — so we’d know where to stop.

8. brianjoates - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Jackie Robinson would be embarrassed. Jackie had to deal with the same narrow minded idiots. Looks like it worked out pretty great that he fought past the dumb people to help allow Tori Hunter to play in MLB.

9. illcomm - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

he was asked a straight question and gave a straight answer. no pun intended. he was honest in his beliefs. maybe he should just lie like most people n portray something false. get over it. tori is a great person that has a beleif which some do and do not agree with. I appluad for his honestly, not his belief. views change. give him time and stop wasting energy hating him. that is much worse than his honest comment.

• Charles Gates - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM

tori is a great person
      As longs as blacks are really black and not Dominican and gays are kept far away. Other than that…

• kirkvanhouten - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

” tori is a great person that has a beleif which some do and do not agree with.”

He is not a great person. He believes, in his heart, that millions of his fellow citizens are broken, less or wrong simply on the basis of their sexual orientation. That is nothing great about that, and there is nothing great about assholes apologists making excuses for him. You truly don’t get it, do you?

• meadowsm1989 - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I think you may have missed his sarcasm, Sir.

• kirkvanhouten - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

@meadowsm1989

If that’s the case, then I’m very glad. I would much rather completely miss someone’s point and come off as an idiot.

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Torri has a history of saying stupid shit about his teammates. This is yet another example. Just because he is honest about his stupid opinions doesn’t mean we have to let him blither them into a microphone without comment about how intellectually dishonest, divisive, and foolish they are.

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

sniff sniff

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Oh Jeez! There’s no crying in baseball (blogs)!

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We spent a lot of years together. Cut me some slack.

(and, yes, I have the Cure on heavy rotation)

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Take it easy, eh? Soon, it’ll be Friday and you’ll be in love.

10. btwicey - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Lol Craig… Talk about trying to stir the pot… By all accounts from all sources hunter is one of the best team mates around, so tread carefully friend.

• yahmule - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The Twins let him go because his jealousy of Joe Mauer was palpable. He’s such a great teammate he made a bunch of ignorant and bigoted statements about Latino players a few years ago.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM

By all accounts from all sources hunter is one of the best team mates around

Yeah he’s a great teammate, when he calls out Dominican’s for not being “really black” or when he called out Lew Ford for being scared to face Rivera in the post-season even though it never happened that way, or when he called out Angels management for saying they told him they didnt have the money to re-sign him and then signed Hamilton, or when he told the press he’d be uncomfortable around a gay teammate.

Sounds like a wonderful person that I hope my son grows up to be like. Oh wait…

11. btwicey - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Hunter doesn’t agree with homosexuality because he is a Christian who believes in our Lord Jesus Christ. So?

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM

As pointed out elsewhere, if his convictions were the basis for this opinion, then he should hold dozens of other convictions he most clearly does not. The bible is actually much more aggressive in its views about pre-marital sex and adultery, but he seems to be fine with those team mates.

• Sign Ahead - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:47 AM

The Lord Jesus Christ that Hunter appears to believe in bears very little resemblance to the one who appears in my Bible. The one I remember went on and on about love, generosity and kindness. He reached out to outsiders, and told his followers to forgive rather than condemn.

Maybe my Bible is defective and the real Jesus was a querulous bigot who was more concerned with his own comfort than with the struggles of the people around him. But I doubt it.

12. jasoncollette - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I’m uncomfortable hearing a Christian who has fathered children out of wedlock talk about how his religious beliefs would make it difficult & uncomfortable to have a gay teammate. The Bible isn’t a buffet – you don’t get to pick and choose the parts you want to ingest.

• sophiethegreatdane - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I hear what you’re saying, but the bible most certainly is, as you say, a pick and choose buffet. Believers HAVE to carefully pick and choose because the bible — if anyone had bothered to read the thing — is full of hateful little nuggets that give clear insight into the violent, racist, misogynistic, superstitious, backwards people who wrote it.

The bible is VERY clear regarding treatment of sassy children, adulterers, women in general, and notably, slaves.

Oh yes, that’s right. Lets not forget the bible’s unambiguous rules about how to treat slaves. It doesn’t say, “don’t own slaves.” Quite to the contrary. The bible gives detailed rules and guidelines regarding how you can treat, own, and sell your slaves. And these rules are laid out in the foundational book upon which your religion is built, Torrey.

This is the reason why you must pick and choose if you are a believer — because the morality of the bible has long since been surpassed by the morality of the first world. We understand that owning slaves is reprehensible and horrifying, and we must choose to ignore those “words of god” with fancy twists of logic.

There is plenty more from which to pick and choose because the bible is chock full of this type of ancient-minded, hateful advice. Torrey is simply showing how uneducated he is about the foundations of his own religion.

13. tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

As a religious person I would be uncomfortable working with someone who has premarital sex and isn’t married to the mother of 3 of his 4 children.

Even if his church apparently skips those parts of the bible to focus on guys and their butts and stuff.

14. dalucks - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

How can Craig Calcaterra say what teams expect from players in a major league clubhouse? How many years did he play in the majors? Has he played in the majors longer than Torii Hunter?
    Teams care more about wins and selling out the stadium before the clubhouse chemistry. You can eat chicken and drink beer in the clubhouse between innings or during games as long as you win games and the team is contending for the pennant, it is no big deal. That is the reality of sports. Talent and wins are priority number 1.
    If a gay guy hits over.300 with 35 HRs and 120 RBIs then the gay guy will be in the majors but if the gay guy hits .180 with 0 HRs and 10 RBIs then the gay guy will get cut, not because he is gay but because he cannot hit.
    Jackie Robinson is not just the first black guy who played in the majors, he is the first black guy who was better than the majority of the white guys in the majors. Jackie did not break the color barrier because he is black, he was a great black baseball player better than 95% of the white players in the majors.
    If a gay guy wants to be successful in MLB, I suggest he be able to hit the baseball. It is that simple.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:57 AM

But if a gay guy is marginal does he keep his job over an equally skilled straight player because of the comfort level in the clubhouse?

Would Jackie Robinson have kept his job if he were borderline over an equal white player?

• Cran Boy - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Whoa. “Jackie Robinson is the first black guy who was better than the majority of the white guys in the majors?” Satchel Paige wasn’t? Josh Gibson? Oscar Charleston? There are a lot of reasons why Robinson broke the color line, but the shortcomings of his Negro Leagues predecessors is not one of them.

And I’d be willing to wager that there has been a star player in baseball’s past who is gay, it’s just that we don’t know about it.

That being said, Craig, are you sure you’re not gunning for the total comments Drew got yesterday?

15. mute617 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Yeah open another alley to create hateful speech! One story with almost 300 responses wasn’t enough. 2? Maybe, but I bet there’s more. Lets fill all of hardball talk with hate speech!

• thebadguyswon - Dec 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Craig knows this garbage drives hits. There will be plenty more to come. Hacktastic.

16. yahmule - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:41 AM

For me, as an American, I find it difficult and uncomfortable to see someone publicly declare that his personal feelings will cause him to create a hostile workplace for other law abiding citizens.

For me, as a thinking human being, I’m amazed and disgusted that anyone still possesses a mentality so unreconstructed as to condone or applaud such statements.

17. redbirdfan81 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Craig completely kicked this article. It’s free speech & his own feelings. I’m good with that as last I checked, he (Hunter) lives in America & is exercising his right to free speech. People don’t have to agree or disagree.

18. bat42boy - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Craig, you are totally off base with your comments. For me, l whole heartily agree with Torii. That’s the trouble with our society, our moral values are going down the drain. We need more people like Torii to speak out on these matters.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM

If you consider bigotry to be a moral value I suggest you go shopping for some better quality morals.

Prejudice is and has been what divides this country. Not people refusing to do what you tell them to.

• paperlions - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Which moral are you talking about? I don’t see anything but hypocrisy and a lack of understanding of his own alleged religion in Hunter’s comments.

• Charles Gates - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Why do you need more people to speak out on this matter yet condemn Craig for doing the same?
      Imagine, a (presumably) religious person being hypocritical!?!

• ditto65 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You are absolutely right! Free Speech! Tomorrow I am going to tell my boss that I find it difficult and uncomfortable teaching minorities. Wait – you mean he could fire me for that? That there are CONSEQUENCES

• alang3131982 - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Question — does he speak out against his teammates that masterbate? Or how about his teammates that have premarital sex? Or what about those who drink in excess? What about those that abuse drugs (such as pain killers). All of these things are against the word of god. In fact, iirc, the probably with acting on homosexuality is that it wastes god’s gift, i.e., the ability to procreate. I dont see a ton of difference, via the church’s stance, between masterbation and acting on homosexuality. Also, what if the gay person wasnt acting on it, would it be ok than? B/c as far as i Know he didnt break any commandments….

It’s all hogwash. Torii is uncomfortable because he is a close minded bigot. He uses religion as a prop to hide behind — relgion can, in no way, justify this point of view and Hunter not speaking out on any number of other issues…

• Kevin S. - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Probably had some basis to it, but the two most commonly cited anit-gay edicts, Leviticus and the story of Lot, weren’t even really about homosexuality at all. Leviticus 20:13 is a pretty clear reference to the practice of Ba’alic male temple prostitutes dressing as women and assuming the role of women – it was a specific type of gay encounter that was associated with the worship of another god. With Lot, the story was regarding the lack of hospitality and safe passage for strangers that was customary at the time. If you take from that the Lot tried to stop them because having gay sex was wrong, you’re acknowledging that Lot offering his daughters up to be raped must be right.

• kirkvanhouten - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hey Bat42boy:

What morals? The morals to call me less of a person because I’m gay? A gay man who works hard? Volunteers at a job training facility for ex-cons to help get them back into the workforce and not back on the streets? Who donates money to my local food bank? Who is in a committed, loving relationship and is only asking for the same rights everyone else in America has?

Yes, this is a moral issue, but I think you have the sides flipped. Thinking millions of Americans deserve to be shunted from society and be made to feel like less than full citizens because of some archaic beliefs is not moral at all.

Shame on you.

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Aha! An openly gay HBT commenter! Excellent.

Kirk, I want you opinion. Over on the 1st page of comments we have a guy calling himself “1historian”. Amongst a few other semi-stupid things, he claims people like you would stare at his junk in the locker room shower and so make him uncomfortable. Now, I realize that you don’t speak for gay people everywhere, nor are you official Keeper Of The Gay Faith or anything, but I’d like to know your opinion on his comment.

Could you keep your eyes to yourself and so ease the worry for all the straight fellas on here who feel their junk is being judged by an expert? Or is it like is for us straight fellas when surrounded by naked women (this has happened to me): it not only gets boring fast, BUT you come to the realization that you PREFER everyone stay dressed because not everyone lives in zero gravity getting 4 hours of semi-vigourous exercise a day and eating right (Rosie O’Donnel, put your clothes on, PLEASE!).

• cur68 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Sorry Kirk: its page 2, not 1.

• historiophiliac - Dec 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Is it pick on Rosie day? I did not get the memo.

• kirkvanhouten - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM

@cur68

1. ” I realize that you don’t speak for gay people everywhere, nor are you official Keeper Of The Gay Faith or anything”

Wrong, I am absolutely the sole spokesman for all things gay. We had a secret gay election. The ballots were pink. I won.

2. “he claims people like you would stare at his junk in the locker room shower and so make him uncomfortable.”

You know your around you female friends and you can’t stop oggling at their boobs to the point where you can’t ever talk you can’t be friends anymore, or at work where you can’t stop yourself from sexually harassing your female co-workers? Wait, you don’t because your a human being and some a crazy, horned up sex monster who doesn’t live into a cliched stereotype? Exactly. Believe me, I’m sure his junk isn’t worth staring at. If it was, I’m sure a professional gay athlete has enough humility and respect for others not to harass his teammates. If someone is, it’s out of line regardless of sexual orientation. But making that assumption based on nothing at all is ridiculous.

19. mute617 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I’m done. I can get baseball news from rotoworld anyway.

• Sign Ahead - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This is a baseball site. I think you mean to say “I’m taking my ball and going home.”

• sophiethegreatdane - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Buh-bye.

• yahmule - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM

As someone who participates in internet forums, I find dramatic farewell posts to be endlessly entertaining.

20. Lukehart80 - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Craig, while I understand that the point of this article was to point out that even from a baseball POV, what Hunter said was wrong, and I know you support LGBT rights, I think you’re letting Hunter off the hook too easily.

Is he entitled to his opinion? Yes. Are all opinions created equal? No. The particular opinion he’s espousing, entitled to it as he is, is morally repugnant and a mark against his own character.

Hunter plays on the sabbath, wears clothing of mixed fabrics, and is presumably against slavery, meaning he himself has gone against some of the bible’s various teachings. To use the bible as a shield when you selectively choose which of the book’s myriad messages you follow is self serving.

21. kelvinmchale - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Oh I get it, Torii, religion is meant to divide us into to groups that don’t interact with each other, rather than to bring us together peacefully with love and acceptance. I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Charles Gates - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

No, religion is, and always has been (after its initial desire to provide explanation to the physical world), a way for powerful men to instill fear in the masses in order to create set of conseqeuences that they use to keep and increase their own power as well as justification for ostracizing, getting rid of, or just plain murdering those that oppose their views.

22. bleed4philly - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I have gay friends, they do not get offended by comments like this. They are man enough not to let it bother them. When Kobe Bryant got in trouble for the gay slur, that was probably more offensive to them.

• Sign Ahead - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Whenever I see a statement that starts with “I have gay friends,” or “I have black friends,” or “I have female friends,” I just know it’s going to end with something foolish, bigoted, or untrue. Maybe even all three.

23. cranbery - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM

If it is a religious issue with him then he should remember …………..Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged!
    Why in the world can’t we just Love One Another as Christ Loves Us?????
    To me, this is a non-issue……a gay player can hit home runs or hit just as well as a straight player. God made us all, and He didn’t make any junk!

24. tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Whenever someone “comes out against the homosexual ‘lifestyle'” all I hear is a redneck furiously screaming “ITS ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE!!!!”

It’s funny in this situation to see that guy I picture agreeing with a black man.

25. eprobono - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Would it be a non-story if a white player said,

“Having a black guy as a teammate would be difficult and uncomfortable for me because racial integration is anathema to my religion” ?

• Old Gator - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

No, it would not be. Where do you get the idea that it’s a “story” because Hunter is black? White players who make politically controversial comments get nailed just as hard. See “Luke Scott.”

Ace-killer Giants do it again