Jan 1, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, the Indians “have had dialogue” with righty Shaun Marcum. It’s possible that the yet-to-be-finalized Myers contract will end that pursuit, but what’s also possible is that the Cleveland front office has been directed to inject some life into a roster that won 68 games in 2012.
The Indians gave free agent outfielder Nick Swisher a four-year, $56 million deal last month and have seemingly decided to keep shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, who will make $16.5 million over the next two seasons. They also signed first baseman Mark Reynolds to a one-year, $6 million contract.
Marcum, 31, posted a 3.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 109/41 K/BB ratio in 124 innings last year for the Brewers. He missed a large chunk of time with a right elbow injury, which should make him inexpensive but isn’t necessarily keeping teams away. The Royals, Twins and Padres have also been linked to him recently.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)