Jan 1, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, the Indians “have had dialogue” with righty Shaun Marcum. It’s possible that the yet-to-be-finalized Myers contract will end that pursuit, but what’s also possible is that the Cleveland front office has been directed to inject some life into a roster that won 68 games in 2012.
The Indians gave free agent outfielder Nick Swisher a four-year, $56 million deal last month and have seemingly decided to keep shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, who will make $16.5 million over the next two seasons. They also signed first baseman Mark Reynolds to a one-year, $6 million contract.
Marcum, 31, posted a 3.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 109/41 K/BB ratio in 124 innings last year for the Brewers. He missed a large chunk of time with a right elbow injury, which should make him inexpensive but isn’t necessarily keeping teams away. The Royals, Twins and Padres have also been linked to him recently.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)