Jan 1, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, the Indians “have had dialogue” with righty Shaun Marcum. It’s possible that the yet-to-be-finalized Myers contract will end that pursuit, but what’s also possible is that the Cleveland front office has been directed to inject some life into a roster that won 68 games in 2012.
The Indians gave free agent outfielder Nick Swisher a four-year, $56 million deal last month and have seemingly decided to keep shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, who will make $16.5 million over the next two seasons. They also signed first baseman Mark Reynolds to a one-year, $6 million contract.
Marcum, 31, posted a 3.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 109/41 K/BB ratio in 124 innings last year for the Brewers. He missed a large chunk of time with a right elbow injury, which should make him inexpensive but isn’t necessarily keeping teams away. The Royals, Twins and Padres have also been linked to him recently.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)