Jan 1, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Here’s the report from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi:
The Seattle Mariners and Miami Marlins have had discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Giancarlo Stanton to Seattle, but one source told FOXSports.com that a deal appears doubtful at this point.
“Deal appears doubtful” being the key set of words.
The Mariners would have to clean out their farm system to pull off a trade for Stanton and aren’t in a position to do that given the many weaknesses on their big league roster and relatively modest budget. The M’s are hoping Taijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen can become good, cost-controlled starters. Their other top prospect — Mike Zunino — is a catcher and the Marlins got Rob Brantly from the Tigers last summer.
Miami has made it known that all offers will be considered for Stanton, but the Fish are going to want a ton in return. Stanton, 23, has slugged 71 home runs over the past two seasons. He posted a .969 OPS in 2012.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)