Jan 1, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Here’s the report from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi:
The Seattle Mariners and Miami Marlins have had discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Giancarlo Stanton to Seattle, but one source told FOXSports.com that a deal appears doubtful at this point.
“Deal appears doubtful” being the key set of words.
The Mariners would have to clean out their farm system to pull off a trade for Stanton and aren’t in a position to do that given the many weaknesses on their big league roster and relatively modest budget. The M’s are hoping Taijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen can become good, cost-controlled starters. Their other top prospect — Mike Zunino — is a catcher and the Marlins got Rob Brantly from the Tigers last summer.
Miami has made it known that all offers will be considered for Stanton, but the Fish are going to want a ton in return. Stanton, 23, has slugged 71 home runs over the past two seasons. He posted a .969 OPS in 2012.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)