Jan 1, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Here’s the report from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi:
The Seattle Mariners and Miami Marlins have had discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Giancarlo Stanton to Seattle, but one source told FOXSports.com that a deal appears doubtful at this point.
“Deal appears doubtful” being the key set of words.
The Mariners would have to clean out their farm system to pull off a trade for Stanton and aren’t in a position to do that given the many weaknesses on their big league roster and relatively modest budget. The M’s are hoping Taijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen can become good, cost-controlled starters. Their other top prospect — Mike Zunino — is a catcher and the Marlins got Rob Brantly from the Tigers last summer.
Miami has made it known that all offers will be considered for Stanton, but the Fish are going to want a ton in return. Stanton, 23, has slugged 71 home runs over the past two seasons. He posted a .969 OPS in 2012.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)