Jan 1, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
Here’s the report from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi:
The Seattle Mariners and Miami Marlins have had discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Giancarlo Stanton to Seattle, but one source told FOXSports.com that a deal appears doubtful at this point.
“Deal appears doubtful” being the key set of words.
The Mariners would have to clean out their farm system to pull off a trade for Stanton and aren’t in a position to do that given the many weaknesses on their big league roster and relatively modest budget. The M’s are hoping Taijuan Walker and Danny Hultzen can become good, cost-controlled starters. Their other top prospect — Mike Zunino — is a catcher and the Marlins got Rob Brantly from the Tigers last summer.
Miami has made it known that all offers will be considered for Stanton, but the Fish are going to want a ton in return. Stanton, 23, has slugged 71 home runs over the past two seasons. He posted a .969 OPS in 2012.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)