Two men obsessed with Mike Piazza-as-a-Marlin collectibles

Jan 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT

Piazza Marlins

Mike Piazza played five games and amassed 19 plate appearances as a Florida Marlin. But such are the things from which obsessions are borne. From Ken Belson of the New York Times:

One is a corporate lawyer from Southern California with few hobbies and only the mildest interest in sports. The other is a college student from Miami who is less than half his age and has amassed a stash of memorabilia that matches his love of baseball. Yet from opposite ends of the country they share one peculiar passion: collecting trading cards of Mike Piazza in a Florida Marlins uniform.

That’s like collecting only Delaney & Bonnie-era Eric Clapton stuff. Or focusing intently on John Tyler’s vice presidency. Neat, I suppose, but says more about the enthusiast than the object of the enthusiasm.

1. sillyv6 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

And that folks is your most pointless an useless article of the year! We are privileged to have read it on the first day of the new year.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Not hardly. There was one about Kim Kardashian’s pregnancy on Yahoo this morning. Beats this article for sheer uselessness and pointlessness by a bucolic kilometer. See, the way I look at it, Mike Piazza is not ipso facto useless, nor (and I’m being generous here), is a California lawyer useless (as opposed, say to an Ohio ex-lawyer or some such improbable thing), nor, necessarily, is a college student. But Kim Kardashian? In other words, if the subject of the article is as useless and pointless as the article itself, you have to give that article the edge.

• cowboysoldiertx - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

But Old Gator think about allllll the extra brain cells we would have if we didn’t read various celeb fluff articles! The world would be such a dangerous place full of smarties!

• Gonzo - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Old Gator wins most pointless comment of the year, for sure. At least he didn’t type the word Feesh.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

At this point in my life, I doubt if I have the brain cells needed to determine which neurons I lost while scanning the covers of the tabloids at the supermarket checkout and which ones I lost to age. Someone – someone younger, I mean – needs to do some serious research into how much stupider we have become as a society since the practice of placing this cavalcade of fecalspeak in the very place where we come into possession of our nutrients began.

• philliesblow - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

If people cared even half as much about being involved in their children’s lives, making informed choices in elections, helping the homeless, etc. as they do about celebretards, the world would be a much better place.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Feesh.

• bigdicktater - Jan 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM

O.G. , on the contrary my friend, that Yahoo post about KK gave me a head start on Kanye West, who apparently showed up at my place with his posse late this morning because the DNA test came back and……………well, you know………………

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

That’s too bad. Your spirit will be trapped in a cover photo on the National Enquirer until some other fool who thinks with his weewee can be tricked into screwing her and setting you free.

I predict this will take about three days.

• nmrdr795 - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Philliesblow your leaving post about athletards which is essentially a celebretard…

• anxovies - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I am not surprised about the California lawyer. California lawyers are a strange and tenacious lot. About 20 years ago I read a newspaper article where a person had a heart attack during the California bar exam. He had a seizure and slumped over his test sheet and several other exam-takers noticed him but returned to taking the tests. Only one person stopped taking the exam to render aid and ask the testing monitors to call for an ambulance. The EMTs arrived and carted the victim of the heart attack out on a gurney while the bar applicants remained focused on the exam. The person who rendered aid was not able to finish the bar exam in the allotted time and flunked that section which caused him/her to flunk the bar exam. The California Bar refused to amend the person’s score because of the circumstances and he/she had to take the examination again. I have no explanation for the college student unless he is pre-law.

• Charles Gates - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Katy Perry Unfollows Russell Brand On Twitter

• chadjones27 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Just the headline of that article gave me a migraine. And why, oh why, did you find that?

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

That’s like asking the Mayans why they discovered the zero: because it wasn’t there.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Craig maybe drunk…………….
      oh boy!

• pilonflats - Jan 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

i appreciate craig & HBT posting this info. its part of what makes baseball beautiful in my mind.

2. thebadguyswon - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Greatest hitting catcher in Marlins history.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

You’re forgetting Mike Treanor, aren’t you?

• thebadguyswon - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wow….my bad. Darren Daulton too.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Hey – in his own quiet, temporary way Daulton – who is a bonah fahed (viz. Oh Brother Where Art Thou) whack job in his afterlife and therefore endearing – was absolutely critical to the Feesh’s 1997 wild card finish and world championship. No DD (“But how do you kill a man without fear?”), no big ugly trophy. He was our spark plug, our bombardment of solar terrawatts, our friendly fire, our natural stimulant. We sacrifice feesh heads to DD to this day.

• vivabear - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I knew Mike Treanor was in the movie 3 Ninjas….but he played catcher for the Marlins???

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Matt Treanor. Never blog until fully awake.

3. jkcalhoun - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM

They must be eagerly awaiting the boxed set limited edition release of “Florida Marlins On Tour With Mike Piazza”, packaged in a mock bat bag and containing the complete play-by-play of all five games.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

No facsimile per diem stubs?

4. hojo20 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I was sitting in a bar discussing the final “Seinfeld” which aired the previous night when the news of the Piazza to Marlins trade broke.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

“Have you ever heard of a guilty bystander?”

• anxovies - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Yes. They call them “accomplices.”

5. andyp03 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’m obsessed with Rasheed Wallace as an Atlanta Hawk.

6. dondada10 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Jose Bautista was a Met for about 15 minutes. It drives me nuts.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

LOL….that’s right. Nelson Cruz was too.

• Old Gator - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Ah and the Feesh had Yunel Escober for a few fleeting days, till he saw that light under the door and figured out how to escape.

• kirkvanhouten - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

From December 8th to December 12th, 1980, Rollie Fingers was a Cardinal. Odds are, no official memorabilia would have been produced in such a short time frame, but how awesome would it be to track down a Rollie Fingers Cardinals jersey?

BTW: Fingers was traded with Pete Vuckovich and Ted Simmons to the Brewers for David Green, Dave Lapoint and far beyond his prime Sexto Lezcano. Had the Cardinals lost that 82 World Series to the Brewers…well…that didn’t so we don’t have to imagine how badly those self-inflicted wounds would have hurt.

7. Jacob - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM

But, Clapton’s best stuff is from the Delaney & Bonnie era.

8. greatdayfortwo - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I think I have the only MLB baseball card of RA Dickey in a Twins uniform. Does that get me a NY Times article too?

• fanofevilempire - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Toronto Sun…………………..
      you are Int’l……………..

9. fanofevilempire - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

forget the baseball card do they have the bobble head………

• ditto65 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Was there a bobble head? And if so, did it have “bacne”?

• andreole - Feb 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

No bobble head, but believe it or not there is an Piazza Marlins Headliner XL 1250 produced per authenticity card (box says 5000).

10. thebigtim2012 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I’m still waiting for my Jose canseco official red sox edition bobble head

11. martysbetter - Jan 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Anyone want my Red Sox jersey signed by Ugeth Urbina?

My 11 year old self decided his season and a half stint with the Sox was worthy to be enshrined forever in ink on my old white home jersey.

12. anxovies - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I don’t remember ever seeing a Carl Pavano Yankee jersey and he was in NY for three years

• ditto65 - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM

He was there in spirit, anyways.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto