Andruw Jones’ wife files for divorce after battery arrest

Jan 2, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT

Andruw Jones mug shot

One week after Andruw Jones was arrested on Christmas for allegedly abusing his wife Nicole Jones has filed for divorce, according to the Associated Press.

As part of the divorce complaint Nicole Jones called the 10-year marriage “irretrievably broken” and she’s requested primary custody of their 9-year-old son in addition to wanting a judge to declare their prenuptial agreement null and void.

Via the police report, Jones is accused of dragging his wife down a staircase by her ankles after she tried to get away from him, grabbing her neck, and threatening to kill her following a Christmas eve party.

Police described Jones’ wife as having “visible injuries” when they arrived on the scene and Nicole Jones told them the incident began after she asked for Jones’ help assembling a computer table.

Despite the arrest Jones’ new team in Japan, the Rakuten Eagles, issued a statement saying they plan to go through with their one-year, $3.5 million contract.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

So why should the prenup be voided?

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Unless it’s badly flawed it won’t be. Most prenups are well tested boilerplate with numbers plugged in these days. And if it is badly flawed, Jones will just turn around and sue the lawyer who drafted it. She’d probably be better off abiding by the prenup but suing him for a fortune for the assault as an independent action. Less money wasted on lawyers that way.

• Reflex - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That is a good point. I’m just relieved that she is standing up for herself, so often in these cases the battered party(not always the woman) backs down and stays in the relationship.

• historiophiliac - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Wait, so there are clauses in case of abuse and stuff like that written in?

• ptfu - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Maybe she is trying to void the prenup as a pressure tactic on Andruw. Not that it will work directly, but simply trying to void it might push him into a better divorce settlement. Something like “nuke the prenup and give me a good divorce settlement now, and I won’t press charges or sue. Or give me nothing now, I’ll sue you for all you’re worth later, and have fun at your criminal trial. I get money either way, so you might as well spare yourself the hassle and the rap sheet.”

• badintent - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM

We all smell Gloria Allred now !! And she smells his $$$$.She’s getting a Japanese/English translator for filing a garnish on his new wages.

2. 1twinsfan - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Really leave him! As a female who has been on the receiving end of a fist, I can honestly say while I was never at fault for the punch, I silently gave him permission to do it again each time I stayed.

3. seanb20124 - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

She could do Anna Benson’s baseball wives for extra cash.

4. randygnyc - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Christmas party, you say? I’m pretty sure my original suppositions were at least half right, lol.

5. cowboysoldiertx - Jan 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

We all make mistakes but AJ has lowered himself to below a shit stain in my eyes!

6. cranbery - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Oh Andruw, I am so disappointed in you. With all the work you have done for Spousal Abuse Groups, how could you stoop this low?
    As a volunteer for the shelter in my town, I am saddened to see that one of my favorite Atlanta Braves has come to this………..
    Take care of your wife and child in the divorce, and PLEASE GET SOME HELP FOR YOURSELF!

7. iladel90 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Check out this fun free baseball game

8. 85pmart - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Whatever the two of them are doing, or plan to do, probably sucks for both of them. A hassle WITH emotion, yep, sucks.

9. anxovies - Jan 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

You people are so provincial. this is the way the celebrate Christmas in Curacao.

10. mazblast - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

They’ve been married ten years, and their kid is only nine? Isn’t that the opposite of the way most celebrity marriages work anymore?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey