Jan 2, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reported yesterday that the Indians and Brett Myers had reached agreement on a one-year deal. This morning he reports the contract’s value: $7 million. As mentioned last night, the contract includes an option for 2014.
At best: Myers becomes a serviceable starter for the Tribe who, if they don’t contend, would be a pretty appealing trade chit at the deadline. Or, alternatively, Chris Perez gets dealt and Myers could close again. At worst: he flames out somehow, and still represents a relatively modest outlay for a pitcher in this market.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)