Jan 2, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reported yesterday that the Indians and Brett Myers had reached agreement on a one-year deal. This morning he reports the contract’s value: $7 million. As mentioned last night, the contract includes an option for 2014.
At best: Myers becomes a serviceable starter for the Tribe who, if they don’t contend, would be a pretty appealing trade chit at the deadline. Or, alternatively, Chris Perez gets dealt and Myers could close again. At worst: he flames out somehow, and still represents a relatively modest outlay for a pitcher in this market.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)