If you build it, they will purchase it for $2 million less than you wanted for it

Jan 2, 2013, 7:25 AM EDT

Field of dreams

“Is this Heaven?”

“No, it’s a depressed real estate market.”

The purchase of the “Field of Dreams” movie site in eastern Iowa has been completed.

The investors group Go the Distance Baseball LLC says it closed last week on the deal reached with owners Don and Becky Lansing. The final price was $3.4 million plus interest. It was listed for $5.4 million more than two years ago when it went on the market.

The purchasers plan to build as many as 24 youth baseball fields on site in order to hold tournaments. If that doesn’t pan out, word is that the purchasers’ brother-in-law will strongly advise them to plant corn to stave off bankruptcy.

No matter what happens, this is bound to be a totally overrated real estate deal that everyone says they love anyway.

1. jarathen - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

The movie is definitely a bit overrated. It’s cute and it’s neat and all that, but it’s just an all right movie.

As for the site itself, this is just disappointing. It was charming how small-time the place was, and the idea to turn it into some kind of little league epicenter trashes that. When I last went a couple years ago with my son, it was still small and neat and fun, though the “anyone can play on the field” thing was kind of ruined by some little leaguers and a dad/coach who were camped out playing ball (just pitch and hit) for so long we just left instead of letting my son run the bases.

• chadjones27 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Dude, are you really sour on a deal that gives kids a place to have little league tournaments? It’s for the kids, man! I get the “charming” aspect and all that, which is cool. But come on, it’s for the kids.

• jarathen - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I’m going to take this comment as pure, unfiltered sarcasm.

• chadjones27 - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No, I’m being serious. Besides any tax subsidies that the County/State may levy on its residents, I really don’t see a problem with providing children a place to hold tournaments. If I’m missing something, please tell me.

• iclight79 - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Personally, I don’t care what happens to this field, but one thing you are off on, I believe, is this is most definitely not Little League. This is for expensive travel ball tournaments and is a business venture.

Travel ball, by the way, part of the reason why interest and the quality of baseball play in the country is worsening, in my opinion. And I am aware several people do not agree with that.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I’d stick with the corn plan and put some, um, *dedicated* red head who looks like Shaun White in charge of the behind the scenes operation.

3. captaincanoe - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Live in the same county. The business model is based on tax payer money and tax abatements. Nice to see your romantic dreams realized on some one else’s dime.

• jarathen - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

That’s the business climate Gov. Branstad has been encouraging in his second reign. Real nice to see how many millions of dollars are paying for literally hundreds of jobs.

4. stfucraig - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Another day, another negative Craig Calcaterra story. Do you realize that I skip 90% of your posts due to your incessant complaining? How do the sponsors of Hardball Talk let you have a job?

• stex52 - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Complaining?

• abaird2012 - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

STFU, stfucraig.

5. newpairofsox - Jan 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The premise of this site is as follows: Craig offers his viewpoint, readers comment.

Feel free to offer valid opinions or feel free to remain anonymous. Otherwise, stfu.

6. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Like most baseball fans, I do like ‘Field of Dreams’. The movie site if fun, but really I only suggest going there if you’re in the area. I don’t think it’s anything to plan a vacation around. We stayed there for about an hour or so, playing catch and I took some infield for fun. I went in May, so I kind of sucked that there was no corn. We hit every minor league team in Iowa, and went there as part of that trip.

In my opinion, though, I really enjoyed visiting Norway, Iowa even more. It’s the site of the true story movie ‘The Final Season’, and the movie was filmed there, too. They have a museum there, too, and the people are the best. It’s not too far from Cedar Rapids, and I highly recommend it:

Putting some other fields and having little league tournaments should re-new interest in it, though. I hope it all works out for them.
    –Mike

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3311)