Jan 2, 2013, 7:25 AM EDT
“Is this Heaven?”
The purchase of the “Field of Dreams” movie site in eastern Iowa has been completed.
The investors group Go the Distance Baseball LLC says it closed last week on the deal reached with owners Don and Becky Lansing. The final price was $3.4 million plus interest. It was listed for $5.4 million more than two years ago when it went on the market.
The purchasers plan to build as many as 24 youth baseball fields on site in order to hold tournaments. If that doesn’t pan out, word is that the purchasers’ brother-in-law will strongly advise them to plant corn to stave off bankruptcy.
No matter what happens, this is bound to be a totally overrated real estate deal that everyone says they love anyway.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 25
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)