Well, that’s no fun: The Yankees have “zero interest” in Delmon Young

Jan 2, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT

It’s almost like Brian Cashman doesn’t want bloggers to have a good time:

Look, we’ve all made mistakes in life. So if teams start avoiding outfielders simply because (a) they suck; and (b) they have a history of getting drunk and accosting strangers on the streets with anti-Semitic rants, they’re going to have a hard time filling out a roster.

1. xpensivewinos - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

So is Young’s agent trying to find the MLB city with the smallest Jewish population?

Someone must have stats on that……..

• El Bravo - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

If someone has stats on that, let’s hope someone has stats on that person as well.

• 18thstreet - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Well, you’d start with the smallest MLB cities. And then you’d like away from the coasts. So I’m going to say Kansas City or Milwaukee.

I’m Jewish; therefore, anything I say about Jews can’t be considered offensive. :)

• El Bravo - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Don’t worry guys, I emailed Mel Gibson for this information.

• raysfan1 - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

El Bravo–The American Jewish Committee has stats on it, and 18thstreet’s guess was on the money. The two cities he listed are the two lowest Jewish population cities, with Kansas City the lowest.

(His guess just made me curious.)

• badintent - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

@18thstreet
        So am I and I can say with 100 % conviction, that if most of the mental midgets that wear a MLB uniform had a Jewish banker, they wouldn’t be broke at the end of their careers.As for the city with the smallest Jewish population, just look for the city with the most twisters. Twisters are attracted to Bible Thumpers.

2. El Bravo - Jan 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Prolly more to do with A than B. Cash rules and all else falls in line. Ain’t shit changed but the year on the calendar. Welcome to “this season” everybody!!!!!

• historiophiliac - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

You’re just itching to start the 2013 Douchenozzle list already.

• cowboysoldiertx - Jan 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

How does one make the list?

• historiophiliac - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

a) a baseball related personality does something douchey that makes the news;
        b) the Keeper of the List (El Bravo) adds said person to the list (restarted annually);
        c) the Keeper of the List is all powerful — there is no appeal.

• El Bravo - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Wow, I’m going to cut and past that into this years list. I never wrote down the prerequisites and those are perfect. The minor change is that I will hear appeals, but I probably won’t do much with them. Also I will, and have, added to the list based on notifications of douchyness (douchiness?) that I may have otherwise overlooked. I list my references of course.

Now, stay vigilant, there are douchenozzles everywhere, they simply need to act on their douchey impulse and the list they shall make. Last year’s 25 DNs was a new record. There seems to be an exponential growth of DNs from year to year. I blame climate change.

• El Bravo - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

*paste

3. thebadguyswon - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

An overweight free agent represented by Scott Boras. What’s not to like?

4. philliesblow - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Young may have had some strong play off series against the Yankees, but if the Yankees sign him he won’t be hitting against their pitching. Yankee hitters also know how to work the count. Young’s version of working the count is waiting for the second pitch in the dirt before swinging.

5. Brian Donohue - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Well if they accept wife-beaters in Japan, I suppose there’s room there for anti-semites too.

• badintent - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

When the Japanese army invade China, they killed millions of Chinese but did not harm any of the 15,000 European Jews that lived in Shangia for over 7 years. They had left Germany and had traveled over 10,000 miles to live and thrive in China.The Japanese thought the Jews were god-like like their own Emperor.I sincerely doubt that Andrew Jones is considering conversion to becoming a Jew. Circumcision at his age is a bitch.

6. pisano - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Not a very smart guy with anti- Semitic rants in a city like NY, not real bright.

• tuberippin - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

“Oh, you mean Jew York?”

— Kenny “La Flama Blanca / Hombre Negro” Powers

7. historiophiliac - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Hello, Red Sox?

8. randygnyc - Jan 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I’m glad the Yankees aren’t interested. Everyone has their own lines in the sand. Delmon crossed mine. Would like to see him blackballed out of the game (along with jayson werth). Both don’t deserve to play mlb, IN MY OPINION!!

9. ncm42 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

An anti-Semite in NYC? What could go wrong?

10. brownsbraves11 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Too much of a class act to go to the Yankees.

11. seattlenative57 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I’m NOT Jewish AND I find that offensive … lol! Its gotta be KC

12. iladel90 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Check out this fun free baseball game

13. weaselpuppy - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Apparently the Yankees took a look at that photo and assumed he was 35….finding out he’s 27, they are gonna back burner him until 2020….

I hope he signs with the Orioles and pounds the crap out of the Yanks and Red Sox for the next 5 years…

• pisano - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

weaselpuppy…. I hate to be the one to tell you, but the only thing this guy will be pounding is his own mule.

14. joerymi - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM

YES! A thread filled with my favorite internet people: phony “moral high-ground guy.”

Would love to see these same comments if he were a career 310/.365/.489.

Delmon Young’s options are low because he is possibly the worst defensive player in baseball and has a bat that leaves a lot to be desired. He will go through nice streaks, but he isn’t worth much. But PLEASE stop pretending that you don’t want him because your morality won’t allow it.

• stex52 - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Bingo. MLB has felons, domestic abusers, drug addicts, alcoholics, serial adulterers, DUI, embezzlers etc.

I find his actions morally repugnant, but if he could sustain a .800 OPS, he’d be playing on a multi-year contract and people would be running to his defense.

15. jaysjunkie - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

To quote Ricky Gervais’ podcast, Delmon Young “has a head like a fuckin’ orange”. Andruw Jones, too.

That’s referring to the size and roundness of their noggins, in case that Brit humour didn’t translate.

16. vikesfansteve - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Holy balloon head Batman.

17. deathmonkey41 - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Steve Carlton thinks the 300 Jews that control the world are behind this refusal to talk to Young.

18. anxovies - Jan 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

They killed Christ and now they won’t let us sign a .267/.296/.411 RH batter. This is just the last straw.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3256)