Jan 3, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Blue Jays exercised their $3 million club option on Darren Oliver earlier this winter in hopes of convincing him to come back for another season, but there’s still no resolution with the 42-year-old left-hander.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that while Oliver wants to play, he’s not willing to return unless the Blue Jays increase his salary for 2013. His reasoning is that he would rather retire than be away from his family at a salary below the market value.
According to Rosenthal, Oliver figured that he would likely hang it up after 2012 when he signed with the Blue Jays last offseason, but he’s coming off a 2.06 ERA in 56 2/3 innings and a sub-3.00 ERA in each of the past five seasons. In a world where fellow left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt got a three-year, $18 million contract from the Giants, he’s trying to leverage his situation into a better deal. The Blue Jays aren’t blinking yet, as Rosenthal was told by a source that they might need to make some moves just to accommodate his $3 million salary for 2013.
One long-rumored compromise is a trade back to his hometown Rangers, where he pitched from 1993-1998, 2000-2001 and 2010-2011. Rosenthal writes that the veteran southpaw “would welcome” that outcome and would likely be more flexible with his financial requirements if he could be closer to home. There’s no indication that a deal is close, though.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)