Jan 3, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Every few weeks we do an update on Scott Rolen that basically says he’s still trying to decide if he wants to play in 2013 or retire, and apparently the 38-year-old remains undecided.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Rolen “has been in periodic contact” with the Reds, who despite being committed to Todd Frazier as the starting third baseman have “interest in bringing Rolen back if he wants to play.”
General manager Walt Jocketty estimated that Rolen will make a decision within the next 7-10 days, but Sheldon speculates that it’ll be longer because “there really is no need for Rolen to make some sort of announcement, as long as the club hasn’t set any kind of deadline.”
In other words, as long as the Reds leave the door open Rolen can take his sweet time and not have to worry about changing his mind. For whatever it’s worth, Sheldon predicts that Rolen will eventually decide to call it quits after hitting .245 with eight homers and a .716 OPS in 92 games last season.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The mind reels when thinking of what may appear in such a publication.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Including writeups for the top 63, because we’re not always all about round numbers.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And it’s hard to argue with any of what Richard Sandomir has to say about it.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:27 AM EDT
Baseball people are saying that it’s one thing to go after a vacant job. It’s another thing altogether, however, to pursue a job someone — namely Rick Renteria — currently occupies.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Giants second baseman Joe Panik started a key double play in Game 7. Here’s a deeper look at how it went down.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks announced this evening that they have exercised club options on right-hander Daniel Hudson and left-hander Matt Reynolds for 2015.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Johnson missed the entire 2014 season after the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
The early television ratings for this year’s World Series were pretty low, but the Giants and Royals ended up going the distance and we witnessed a very compelling Game 7 last night. It turns out that a lot of folks tuned in to see what the fuss was all about.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
The Fielding Bible Awards are back. And they have an interesting wrinkle this time around.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Haren’s option vested when he reached the 180-inning mark in September, but he had the ability to decline it and test free agency. However, he has decided to stick around.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Gallardo posted an ERA above 4.00 last season for the first time in his career, but bounced back to throw 192 innings with a 3.51 ERA this year at age 28.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Street saved a career-high 41 games this season.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Overall in two seasons with the Red Sox he threw 139 innings with a 1.75 ERA and 181/17 K/BB ratio.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
The A’s opted to stay internal in replacing Chili Davis.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Both players are now free agents.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
After a disappointing first season in Washington he bounced back to hit .302 with 31 steals and a .771 OPS, leading the league with 184 hits.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The Greek God of Walks retires to Olympus. Or maybe Ohio.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
He’ll play for the minimum salary at age 36.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
40-man roster housecleaning, mostly.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 3
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 46
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)