Sergio Romo issues apology for incident at Las Vegas airport

Jan 3, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT

Sergio Romo Getty Getty Images

We learned earlier today that Giants reliever Sergio Romo was detained in a Las Vegas airport on New Year’s Day for allegedly “becoming belligerent” with a TSA officer after he couldn’t provide proper ID to pass through security. Courtesy of John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, the fan favorite has issued the following statement apologizing for his actions:

I would like to sincerely apologize about the recent events at the Las Vegas airport which brought negative attention to the San Francisco Giants. I love and respect the Giants, my teammates and our fans and promise to conduct myself in the future in the in the “San Francisco Giants Way.”

Since the initial report from TMZ surfaced a few hours ago, CSNBayArea.com obtained a statement from Officer Bill Cassell of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department which said that while Romo was cuffed and detained, he was merely cited for a violation of airport rules and not arrested. Similar to getting a ticket, he will either pay a fine or have his day in court. In another matter of clarification, it appears that Romo was not a passenger, but was either picking someone up or dropping someone off.

1. chill1184 - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

F the TSA

2. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Hey, these things happen.

3. historiophiliac - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Kinda disappointed he apologized to fans and all that. If he bothered to apologize at all, I wish it was only to his padres/abuelos.

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Wow, the internets are feeling sanctimonious today.

4. eagles512 - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Yeah that’s it….a guy becomes belligerent and you blame the TSA. He seems like a weirdo.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM

He wasn’t there to fly, he was either picking someone up or dropping someone off. Why would he think he would need “proper” identification and why were they even talking to him? Assuming he was drunk and belligerent that’s not a wise choice but none of those statements outline exactly what he did either. Is it really that hard to imagine some TSA people being bitter hardasses on New Year’s Day? If he was really causing such a huge safety or security problem he’d have been arrested, not just cited.

5. wintwins - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Just once, I would like to see an honest apology that doesn’t sound like it was written by a committee of PR professionals. Don’t vaguely mention ‘the recent events’ like a coward, instead say you’re sorry for acting like a dick. We’re all assholes sometimes. Maybe we’re tired, we’re having a crappy day, or we drank too much. It happens; man up and apologize and move on. And don’t apologize to the fans, club, etc. Instead, how about you apologize to the man or woman who was just doing their job when you decided to get belligerent?

“I’d like to apologize to the TSA agent that was just doing their job when I acted inappropriately on New Year’s Day. I was being a jerk, and I lost my temper. I’m embarrassed that this happened and I hope I learned something from it.”

The “San Francisco Giants Way”? Get real.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

apologies are overrated………………………

you bring out your wife, you cry, she has a look of wtf did I do that I have to stand here.
      pledge your allegiance to the usa and bam you are forgiven.

• fasteddy415 - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Does the following sound like it came from a PR professional?

“and promise to conduct myself in the future in the in the “San Francisco Giants Way.”

Get Real!

6. milcron - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Whatever happened to:”What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?”

7. lostsok - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

A textbook example of ‘roid rage from the man with the second crappiest beard in baseball. Why do the BALCO Giants want to look that awful anyway?

• Gamera the Brave - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Good one, lost…
      That BALCO bit’s so old, last time I heard it I laughed so hard I fell off my Ankylosaurus!

8. barroomhero80 - Jan 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

That whole incident was the “San francisco giants way”. Douche

9. tile84 - Jan 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM

the beard strikes again. i wonder if he didn’t look like that if he would have gotten in all that trouble. no need to apologize!!

10. detroit20iron - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM

TSA is a joke

11. beelza - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM

He punked the triple crown winner for the world series winning out. He can do whatever he wants.

12. skids003 - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Maybe he should have worn his “I just look illegal” shirt. Then they would have left him alone.

13. qwest12 - Jan 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

If its true that he was not a passenger then who was checking his ID, probably a profiling issue because his beard looks middle eastern. I would have been mad too, and not just because I was a world champion bb player.

14. albertmn - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Am I the only one that wants to find out part of his “becoming belligerent” including him at some point yelling “don’t you know who I am?” to the TSA folks?

Unless we know more, such as if he was in a restricted area or something, we really can’t call out Romo or the TSA as the bad guy. Although, given that he apologized, I am guessing he may have done something wrong. But, he may just be apologizing to just make this go away.

• Gamera the Brave - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Albert,
      There is no room for a reasoned, measured argument here.
      Knee-jerk reactions only, if you please…

• cur68 - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

What, you want more information before you offer your opinion? Ha, ha! What a maroon! Look dude, just shout something crazy about guys from SF or the TSA or both. Otherwise you’ll be chased down the rows of corn by pitchfork wielding loonies who’ll eat your liver by the full moon and say it was all your fault for being so yummy looking, kay?

( muttering to self… Man wants FACTS, shakes head… young people these days; trying to get their livers eaten by crazy people…huh. In my day a man had sense, a man tried to fit in with the crazies. These kids, I tell you…hikes trousers to nipple line, checks lawn for kids, sends tweet of support to Jose Canseco . . .)

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Hey! How come you get to use “maroon” and I get a lecture when I do it? Sheesh. North coast bias.

How’s the indoctrination into the cult of Canseco going? Do you have funner robes or anything you have to wear?

• cur68 - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Oh yeah. Things be way funner in Canseco-land. He’s trying to run for mayor of Toronto on a “Mysterio Platform” (“Mysterio” as in it be a fekkin mystery what his polices and plans are). No word yet on if he plans to send Ozzie to get citizenship for him while he’s working through his other 10-teen resolutions for this year, but we, his loyal followers since last week, are pulling for him. There’s no special clothing but I understand that being hit in he head by fly balls is part of the joining ceremony. We’ll see about that one.

As for “Maroon” what on earth would you get a lecture for? Is someone really a Bugs Bunnyist? People like that shouldn’t be allowed to walk the earth. Not without supervision.

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Just don’t let him trade Toronto for some magic beans.

15. fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

let’s not be stupid here, I have seen a few these TSA agents up close and personal.
    I need some more info before I make a judgement on this.

16. tfoz5150 - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Fear the beard.

17. fasteddy415 - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

No story here –

The bigger story is how much of a community guy Sergio Romo is! Ask the children of our community who beneifted greatly from Toy Drives Sergio was a part of! A lot of kids had the biggest of smiles this holiday season thanks to Sergio’s efforts.

A mistake is a mistake and minor one at that. Some of you need to take it easy and stop acting like you have a halo over your head…

18. Jonny 5 - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

He probably tried walking in through the front door to pick a person up and tried meeting them at baggage pick up. You aren’t allowed to do that without a ticket anymore as far as I know. At Philly you can’t even stop your car by the arrivals terminal to pick up a person, you have to circle the place until your passenger is by the curb waiting. Major pain in the butt.

19. coxtim913 - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM