The Red Sox are sending a scout to watch Javier Vazquez pitch

Jan 3, 2013, 7:55 AM EST

Javier Vazquez

The Red Sox could use some starting pitching. Javier Vazquez is mulling a comeback and prefers to play on the east coast. It’s a match made in Heaven, no?

According to an industry source, the Red Sox are slated to scout right-hander Javier Vazquez when he pitches for Caguas of the Puerto Rican Winter League on Friday.

Personally I don’t want to see Vazquez sign in the AL East simply because it will cause everyone to dwell inordinately on his tough times with the Yankees. Which, sure, they happened, but are pretty unrepresentative of his quite good 14-year career and I hate it when we allow one bit of failure overshadow considerable success in our analysis of a guy.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM

He would not cost $39 million over 3 years. They could probably get him for Johnny Gomes money.

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I’m trying to imagine a dollar bill with a picture of Johnny Gomes on it. How many of those would it take to purchase Boardwalk?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Before or after the hurricane?

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I actually think “Johnny Gomes” spells his name without the “h”. Jonny.Gomes

• proudlycanadian - Jan 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I had been thinking of checking the spelling, but the Gomes contract speaks for itself.

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Gomes sounds like a good name for a hobbit.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

please boston, sign him!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Lets not too eager Harry. What if he pitches well and the Yankees sign him?

3. hushbrother - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I don’t consider Vazquez’ time with the Yankees a failure. I particularly thought his performance in Game 7 of the ’04 ALCS was stellar.

4. cackalackyank - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

In other news, the Red Sox have been linked to a Medium, and sources close to management say that contact will be made with Cy Young AND Walter Johnson any day now.

• Old Gator - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Big deal. I’ve played Ouija Scrabble with both of them. I once caught Johnson using ectoplasmic algal DHA and suspended him for fifty games.

• cackalackyank - Jan 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM

That’s great Gator, but doesn’t that mean they have to take WJ out of the HOF now?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester