Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Kyle Lohse remains a free agent, leading to speculation that a return to the Cardinals could be an option because teams are so hesitant to give up a first-round draft pick to sign him.
Don’t count on it, though. Lohse appeared on KFNS-590 radio in St. Louis this morning and gave an update on his offseason, admitting that he hasn’t had any contact with the Cardinals in 3-4 months.
Tim McKernan of KFSN-590 has more from Lohse, including the right-hander saying that the first-round draft pick compensation has had a huge impact in limiting his suitors, crossing numerous teams off the list completely and creating something much less than a free market situation.
That must be very frustrating for Lohse considering he’s probably looking at the last big contract of his career at age 34 and is coming off a career-best two-season run in which he went 30-11 with a 3.11 ERA in 399 innings over 63 starts.
It sounds like Lohse expects to land a deal somewhere, but he hinted that it won’t be from a West Coast team and might drag on for a while longer. In turning down the qualifying offer from the Cardinals to become a free agent Lohse bypassed a one-year, $13.3 million deal.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 50
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)