Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Kyle Lohse remains a free agent, leading to speculation that a return to the Cardinals could be an option because teams are so hesitant to give up a first-round draft pick to sign him.
Don’t count on it, though. Lohse appeared on KFNS-590 radio in St. Louis this morning and gave an update on his offseason, admitting that he hasn’t had any contact with the Cardinals in 3-4 months.
Tim McKernan of KFSN-590 has more from Lohse, including the right-hander saying that the first-round draft pick compensation has had a huge impact in limiting his suitors, crossing numerous teams off the list completely and creating something much less than a free market situation.
That must be very frustrating for Lohse considering he’s probably looking at the last big contract of his career at age 34 and is coming off a career-best two-season run in which he went 30-11 with a 3.11 ERA in 399 innings over 63 starts.
It sounds like Lohse expects to land a deal somewhere, but he hinted that it won’t be from a West Coast team and might drag on for a while longer. In turning down the qualifying offer from the Cardinals to become a free agent Lohse bypassed a one-year, $13.3 million deal.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)