Alex Rodriguez is still waiting to undergo hip surgery

Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez has yet to undergo hip surgery and no date has been scheduled for the operation yet, according to Dan Martin of the New York Post.

Back when the Yankees announced on December 3 that Rodriguez needed surgery the stated plan was that he’d go under the knife at some point in January, so nothing has really changed there. Surgery was delayed in order for Rodriguez to build up the necessary strength for the recovery process, which figures to stretch deep into the first half of the season and could put his entire 2013 in jeopardy.

Martin reports that Rodriguez won’t have the surgery “until the middle of the month, at the earliest.”

With the likelihood that Rodriguez will be unavailable until June or later the Yankees signed Kevin Youkilis to a one-year, $12 million deal to replace him at third base.

1. darthicarus - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Forgive my ignorance here, but if he wasn’t supposed to be doing much physical activity due to his injury how would he have lost the strength to have the surgery? Unless he just sat on a couch all day taking a few sips of water and watching My Little Pony how could he be that weak to not be able to have the surgery as soon as possible? I’m not the most active/athletic person but I’m pretty sure doing normal daily activities I would have enough strength/immunity to be able to be put under the knife.

• number42is1 - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

are we talking about the new my little pony series or the old one?

• ctony1216 - Jan 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

A-Rod’s rehab will strengthen muscles around the hip joint, but that process begins pre-surgery. In the old days, athletes would wait until AFTER surgery to strengthen the muscles around the joint as part of the rehab process. But orthopedics have found that strengthening the muscles BEFORE surgery speeds up recovery.

It’s doubtful that A-Rod was doing any hip-specific strengthening exercises during the season, other than in his ordinary workouts, and my guess is that that’s what these exercises are for, specifically designed to strengthen the muscles around the hip joint and related areas.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Yeah A-Rod is strengthen that muscle really good…. have you seen that Torres chick.

oh boy!

2. JustMeMike - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Maybe the Yankees asked him to delay as long as possible – in fact, if he misses the entire 2013 season, the Yankees insurance policy would kick in and the Yankees would be off the hook salary-wise. Or maybe Rodriguez retirement? Prolly not.

• cackalackyank - Jan 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

There is a small chance that the Yankees might want to have him miss the entire season and collect on the insurance,especially since they are on the hook for 12 million for Youk. However, as far as I know the 30 million will still be counted for luxury tax purposes, so the benefit will hit the bottom line, but not give them additional flexibility for payroll/roster moves.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jan 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Leave A-Rod’s hip alone!!!

4. gvbulldogs - Jan 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Why does B.S. follow him with every move he makes, i’ had 13 surgeries,this is bullshit, have the surgery then go to rehab like everyone else does, prima donna!

5. gvbulldogs - Jan 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

ctony1216, I agree ,my major knee and back surgeries were late 80′ early 90′s. just my opinion, I doubt A- ROD is doing a lot, I hope I’m wrong, thanks for the correction.

6. pisano - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I just hope the recovery time is right around five years.

7. mazblast - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Maybe he’s afraid he won’t be as pretty if he has the surgery now.

8. onbucky96 - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Heh heh, couldn’t happen to a better guy or his team. Now how do you like ‘dem apples?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3409)