Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Back when the Yankees announced on December 3 that Rodriguez needed surgery the stated plan was that he’d go under the knife at some point in January, so nothing has really changed there. Surgery was delayed in order for Rodriguez to build up the necessary strength for the recovery process, which figures to stretch deep into the first half of the season and could put his entire 2013 in jeopardy.
Martin reports that Rodriguez won’t have the surgery “until the middle of the month, at the earliest.”
With the likelihood that Rodriguez will be unavailable until June or later the Yankees signed Kevin Youkilis to a one-year, $12 million deal to replace him at third base.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 47
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 36
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 52
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)