Jan 4, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
This one, from Jorge Ebro of el Nuevo Herald, is explained in Spanish. The translation, courtesy of JRVC of the Baseball Think Factory community:
“This year is my first one as a member of the BBWAA in which I can vote for the HoF. I turned in a blank ballot. This is all very confusing to me, and I think that MLB has weighted down the press with a very large responsibility. It’s MLB who should determine the historical fate of this generation, regarding which there is so much suspicion. Not reporters. When I first started out (AS A MEMBER) of the BBWAA, I dreamed of someday voting for the HoF. Today, I can’t help but feel somewhat discouraged. Maybe for 2014 I will have changed my mind and position. Today, I simply left my ballot blank. I first I considered voting for Craig Biggio, but now I a unsure about everybody. I know that this whole HoF thing can stir passions, but I am trying to be honest with myself.”
Too bad he doesn’t realize that by submitting a blank ballot he is, in fact, rendering a judgment, as that will count as vote against everyone. If he truly thought voting for the Hall of Fame was too great a responsibility and if he truly wanted to abstain from the process he should have, you know, abstained.
I’m starting to think that, as opposed to 10 years BBWAA membership, Hall of Fame votes should be given to people who have spent ten minutes understanding the simple logic of their actions.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 30
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 79
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (104)