Aubrey Huff still wants to play

Jan 4, 2013, 5:26 PM EST

Getty Aubrey Huff Getty Images

And I want a pony:

Aubrey Huff, the consistent power producer and 2010 Giants hero derailed by an episode of panic attacks in 2012, is looking to make a comeback in 2013. “He wants to play,” Huff’s attorney Ed Hayes said by phone. “He’s working out. It’s not a matter of physical issues. Nor is it a matter of mental issues, which he’s addressed.”

I suppose he’ll be able to snag a minor league deal someplace, but the fact is, he hit .192/.326/.282 in 2012, with his availability extremely limited due to both those mental issues his lawyer alludes to and injury.  He is a defensive liability as well, and the DH/1B market is already full of guys looking for work.

Good luck to Huff, who is reputed to be a good egg and a good teammate. But I’d be rather surprised if he played in the bigs again.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Instead of a pony Craig, why don’t you treat yourself to a Mustang?

2. bobulated - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

” It’s not a matter of physical issues” well all except for that giant fork stuck in his back.

3. greymares - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM

i want to play too anybody need a 66 yr old catcher ?

4. historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I’d really love to see him come back just so he can have the satisfaction.

5. sometimesimisscandlestick - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

And he’ll be in the BSOHL.

6. tuberippin - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It’s not a matter of physical issues.
    It’s not a matter of mental issues.
    It’s a matter of Aubrey Huff sucking at baseball for the past two years, and being paid handsomely to do so.

7. therealtrenches - Jan 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Panic attacks are nothing to joke about. The pony comment suggests a bit of scorn or mockery on Craig’s part, which he probably would have reconsidered if he had ever suffered from chronic panic attacks. They are debilitating, and can ruin Inez’s ability to do anything well, including something he / she has done well all their lives. By the same token, recovery from them can result in a full restoration of performance. Huff was a good ballplayer’s before these attacks occurred and he can be a good one again.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yep, exactly. I have crippling anxiety, anxiety I wouldn’t wish on anyone, and it’s very debilitating. I can’t even imagine playing in front of tens of thousands of people while feeling that way. And if his anxiety is anything like mine, it’s probably 100x worse when he’s going out there, playing the game he knows and has been a pro at for many years and not being good at it. If I have a bad day at the office, I’m broken inside for at least the night. If my office consisted of 30,000-40,000 people watching me, I can’t even bear to think about it.

I’d like to see Huff overcome this and get one more shot. He would certainly have even more of my respect.

• historiophiliac - Jan 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

It gets better.

8. jlovenotjlo - Jan 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Craig I work in the ranching business in the side and due to the economic downturn of the last few years the horse market is lousy with great horses on the cheap. Especially ponies, which are useless. Don’t just give up on your equine dreams.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2730)
  2. W. Myers (2476)
  3. C. McGehee (2080)
  4. D. Ross (2078)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1933)
  1. J. Shields (1824)