Jan 4, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
Aubrey Huff, the consistent power producer and 2010 Giants hero derailed by an episode of panic attacks in 2012, is looking to make a comeback in 2013. ”He wants to play,” Huff’s attorney Ed Hayes said by phone. “He’s working out. It’s not a matter of physical issues. Nor is it a matter of mental issues, which he’s addressed.”
I suppose he’ll be able to snag a minor league deal someplace, but the fact is, he hit .192/.326/.282 in 2012, with his availability extremely limited due to both those mental issues his lawyer alludes to and injury. He is a defensive liability as well, and the DH/1B market is already full of guys looking for work.
Good luck to Huff, who is reputed to be a good egg and a good teammate. But I’d be rather surprised if he played in the bigs again.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)