Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
According to Chris Toman of MLB.com, Anthopoulos said earlier tonight that he doesn’t expect Oliver to be with the Blue Jays next season and believes the 42-year-old will ultimately opt for retirement. He also expressed little interest in restructuring the $3 million club option they exercised earlier this offseason.
“His contract is his contract. That’s what we signed him to. I don’t see us doing that.”
Can’t blame Oliver for trying and it’s unfortunate that this had to leak out into the press, but he put pen to paper and agreed to a contract last offseason. The Blue Jays could set a nasty precedent if they give in to Oliver’s wishes, either with a raise or a trade to the Rangers, so it’s unlikely they’ll budge here.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)