Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 PM EST
According to Chris Toman of MLB.com, Anthopoulos said earlier tonight that he doesn’t expect Oliver to be with the Blue Jays next season and believes the 42-year-old will ultimately opt for retirement. He also expressed little interest in restructuring the $3 million club option they exercised earlier this offseason.
“His contract is his contract. That’s what we signed him to. I don’t see us doing that.”
Can’t blame Oliver for trying and it’s unfortunate that this had to leak out into the press, but he put pen to paper and agreed to a contract last offseason. The Blue Jays could set a nasty precedent if they give in to Oliver’s wishes, either with a raise or a trade to the Rangers, so it’s unlikely they’ll budge here.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)