Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 PM EST
According to Chris Toman of MLB.com, Anthopoulos said earlier tonight that he doesn’t expect Oliver to be with the Blue Jays next season and believes the 42-year-old will ultimately opt for retirement. He also expressed little interest in restructuring the $3 million club option they exercised earlier this offseason.
“His contract is his contract. That’s what we signed him to. I don’t see us doing that.”
Can’t blame Oliver for trying and it’s unfortunate that this had to leak out into the press, but he put pen to paper and agreed to a contract last offseason. The Blue Jays could set a nasty precedent if they give in to Oliver’s wishes, either with a raise or a trade to the Rangers, so it’s unlikely they’ll budge here.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)