Jan 4, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
So if Myers pitches well and stays healthy he’ll get $15 million for two seasons, which would be the same contract that free agent starters like Joe Blanton and Brandon McCarthy received. Except, of course, that if he pitches poorly or gets hurt the Indians are only on the hook for half of that.
Myers’ off-field history would probably make any team think twice about adding him, but purely in terms of his on-field value the Indians got themselves a very nice deal in a seller’s market for pitching.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (154)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)