Jan 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
During a radio interview yesterday Kyle Lohse talked about how teams having to forfeit a first-round draft pick to sign him has slowed his free agent market considerably and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch takes it one step further by reporting that Lohse has yet to receive a single offer.
Well, except for the qualifying offer he returned down from the Cardinals to become a free agent in the first place, that is. Lohse could have accepted that and locked himself into a one-year, $13.3 million deal for 2013, but the 34-year-old right-hander obviously had his sights on a much bigger deal following back-to-back career-years in which he went 30-11 with a 3.11 ERA in 399 innings.
“It’s not exactly the situation I envisioned, not at all,” Lohse told Goold. “It hasn’t been exactly a free market because I’m tied to a draft pick and other guys in my class aren’t. That comes at a price. You can’t compare this to anything in the past because it hasn’t been like this.”
Goold writes that “Lohse doesn’t doubt a fair contract will arrive, it just may take an inventive solution to make a fit.” And when he does sign you can bet it’ll be for significantly less than he would have gotten without being tied to the draft pick compensation. Lohse revealed yesterday that he hasn’t talked to the Cardinals in months, so don’t expect a return to St. Louis to be that “inventive solution.”
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 60
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)