UPDATE: The Rangers have an offer out to Lance Berkman

Jan 4, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT

ryan-nolan-101030

UPDATE: Ryan confirmed to Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston that the Rangers have an offer out to Berkman. Meanwhile, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow tells Berman that the club has been in touch with Berkman over the past two days and that talks are continuing.

3:30 PM ET: We know that the Rangers are one of the teams interested in Lance Berkman. Jon Heyman reports that, to woo the Puma, they are using their secret weapon: Nolan Ryan:

Ryan, a former Astros great as well as a former Rangers great, has a connection to Berkman and is said to be spearheading the Rangers’ efforts to land Berkman.

If memory serves, Ryan also personally reached out to Roy Oswalt last year.  Hey, if it first you don’t succeed with signing over-the-hill ex-Astros, try, try again.

1. slavetothetrafficlight - Jan 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Hard to imagine this one not succeeding. My grandmother could probably hit about 10 HR a year in Arlington.

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

If she could, the Red Sox are interested.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Be careful when picking on the Red Sox. Their fans are very sensitive.

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

At least I’m having a little fun, PC…unlike earlier when I got dumped on for backing Romo. If I’m gonna get hate, I’d like to enjoy myself anyway.

2. jwbiii - Jan 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

From the look on his face, I’d say Ryan isn’t a big Lady Antebellum fan.

3. kpyanc - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Lance was a big part of the Cardinals world series team 2 years ago. He has proved he is an excellent player when he’s healthy and now he has his knee ready to play. I’d love to see him help the Rangers win a world series. Good luck Lance and Go Rangers!!!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Didn’t you get the memo, that the World Series will be won by one of the big spenders on the left coast?

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Your left or mine?

• proudlycanadian - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Good one. Your team is just off the left coast of the Province of Ontario isn’t it?

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Oh, Canadians. It’s always about your left.

I used to get a Canadian TV station years ago and saw the funniest show where they sent a guy around asking Americans questions about Canadian geography. It was hilarious…and sad.

• cur68 - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

He ask about our National Igloo didn’t he? That always gets them. Global warming and so on. I understand he had to beat feet out of Montana before the governor there got wind that he’d been made a fool of. Some people got guns.

• historiophiliac - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Actually, he stumped a lot of people on whether or not it’s a landlocked country. Sigh. If it makes you feel any better most of them can’t pick out Oklahoma or Michigan on a map either — and they are the only two states you can make with your hand.

4. goldensombrero3000 - Jan 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I would be happy to see this man leave the NL Central. The way he hits in Great American Ball Park you’d think he’s Babe Ruth.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. C. Gonzalez (2407)