Jan 4, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
People in New York have been talking about building a Major League Soccer stadium in Queens. It’s apparently a controversial plan, and now the Mets are wading into the mess:
The Mets are “very interested and fully capable” of bringing Major League Soccer to Citi Field, City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Astoria) announced Thursday. The move would boost the baseball team’s coffers and eliminate potential competition from a $300 million MLS soccer stadium proposed for Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.
The Mets confirm that they’re on board with such a plan. Major League Soccer doesn’t like the idea, calling it a “non-starter.”
And it’s pretty understandable why. They’ve spent the past 15 years moving teams from inappropriate and ill-fitting football stadiums and the like into soccer-specific stadiums which (a) are way, way better for players and fans in terms of functionality and aesthetics; and (b) are way better for the league and team owners financially. Why, then, the league would want to put soccer in a baseball stadium with what one can only assume are the worst sight lines imaginable is beyond me.
Building a soccer stadium may not be a fantastic idea in and of itself — there is serious opposition to it there for a lot of understandable reasons — but cramming a soccer team in a major league ballpark makes very little sense.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 22
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (80)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)