The Orioles could announce the Buck Showalter contract extension early next week

Jan 4, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT

Buck Showalter Getty Getty Images

We’ve been hearing about this for a while, but Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Orioles could announce an extension with manager Buck Showalter early next week. Showalter met with Angelos several times last month to get the framework in place.

Showalter led the Orioles to their first playoff appearance since 1997 and has an overall record of 196-185 since taking over the job at the end of the 2010 season. Makes total sense to lock him up.

1. psuravens19 - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

This would be the only positive thing DD did this offseason… I understand there is still time, but the O’s have completely wasted a great opportunity this offseason.

• dontfeedgigantor - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I fail to understand how anyone who watched the entirety of last season could possibly question Duquette’s decision-making.

2. Francisco (FC) - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Completely agree, lock him up and throw away the key. He’s upsetting the balance, we need those O’s to go back to their losing ways! (J/K)

3. fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

maybe Buck likes what he has……..
    he didn’t do too bad last year.

4. rockthered1286 - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’ve been on both sides of the fance with this offseason or lack thereof. On one hand I can say that we’ve made NO improvements. The only moves I’ve seen was a minor league deal with a guy who spent 4 years out of baseball with concussions, and Casilla, who is essentially the same guy as Andino who we lost. We had 4 spots that needed improvement- LF, 2B, 1B. DH And what did we do?

LF- brought back McLouth to platoon with Reimold whose had health issues for years
    2B- banking on Roberts returning healthy… for the 3rd consecutive year. With Casilla backing him up
    1B- lost Reynolds. Up in the air whether we’ll see Davis @ first or possibly Reimold.
    DH- assuming Davis on days he’s not at 1B or McLouth/Reimold depending on who is in LF

So realistically? NO improvement. If anything, we’re slightly worse in the field. Relying on a few injury riddled guys in Reimold and Roberts with clearly inferior backups (McLouth is inferior in the field with an arm that makes Johnny Damon chuckle) and Davis playing first, who isn’t terrible but Reynolds really played stellar D to end the 2012 season at 1B.

On the flip side, we’re getting a full season with Machado at 3B, Markakis back for (hopefully) a full season after missing some time to start the season (abdomen surgery) and the last month of the season/playoffs (thumb), and a SOLID rotation for a full season- we all forget how terrible our rotation was to start 2012 (Arrieta, Matusz, Hunter all moved to BP by end of 2012). And then there’s the prospect of Wada coming back from TJS to help AND possibly seeing Bundy sightings post-all star break. IF we can get some more Duke magic in 2013 with a few last minute moves to improve the lineup (I’m still thinking they end up pursuing Luke Scott on the cheap- 14 HR’s and 30-something RBI’s in a half season last year as DH) this team WILL be competitive again in 2013.

• dontfeedgigantor - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, at this point I don’t think we can count on Reimold staying healthy. And I don’t think Roberts should even be allowed on a baseball field. He’s going to kill himself if he keeps trying to play.

I like Nate. He was a stud last season, and while that doesn’t mean he will be again, I think he’s at least earned the chance to come back and play. And I didn’t think his arm was all that bad. Certainly nowhere near as bad as Coco Crisp’s.

I find it hard to believe that there will ever be another season as amazing as 2012, but I’m still excited for 2013 and I fully expect them to be even better. 2012 was just so ridiculous in so many ways that I don’t think anything could top it, but a World Series appearance would sure be nice. :)

Three legends off to Cooperstown