Jan 4, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Who declared it “Lance Berkman Day” around here? In any case, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the Yankees are the latest team to express interest in the veteran slugger, joining the Rangers, Astros, Orioles and Rays.
Of course, Berkman had a pretty miserable time after being traded from the Astros to the Yankees in 2010, as he batted just .255/.358/.349 with one homer and a .707 OPS in 37 games. It’s not clear whether he’d consider a return to New York given that he’s actively talking to both Texas teams. But hey, you can’t blame Brian Cashman for trying to infuse some youth into the roster.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)