Jan 4, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
Everyone keeps waiting for the Yankees to do something about their underwhelming catching situation, but no moves appear to be on the horizon and today general manager Brian Cashman revealed that catching prospect Austin Romine is likely headed to Triple-A.
“I expect Romine to go to Triple-A,” Cashman said, via Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News. “He missed all of last year, almost … I don’t expect him to be our everyday catcher out of the gate. He always has the possibility of taking it, but realistically, if I were in prediction mode, I’d say Triple-A.”
That makes sense, as Romine played just 31 games last season and never put up big numbers offensively to begin with, failing to crack an .800 OPS in any of his six seasons in the minors.
However, that would also seemingly mean the Yankees are willing to go into the season with a catching duo of former backup Francisco Cervelli–who spent most of last season at Triple-A himself–and journeyman Chris Stewart. Cashman said the Yankees are comfortable “going internal” with Cervelli and Stewart, but that has the potential to be one of the worst-hitting duos in baseball.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 39
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (116)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)