Jan 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Encouraging news to pass along regarding Mariano Rivera, who is currently working his way back from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Rivera said today that he plans to start his offseason throwing program next week. That’s earlier than normal for him, but he’s doing things a little differently coming off major surgery. The 43-year-old also estimated that his knee is at around “95 percent” recovered.
“It needs more strengthening,” Rivera said. “The five percent will come quick.”
As of now, there’s every indication that Rivera will be ready for spring training and a potential save chance on Opening Day. Whether you are a Yankees fan or not, that’s a cool thing to think about on this quiet January afternoon.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)