Jan 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Encouraging news to pass along regarding Mariano Rivera, who is currently working his way back from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Rivera said today that he plans to start his offseason throwing program next week. That’s earlier than normal for him, but he’s doing things a little differently coming off major surgery. The 43-year-old also estimated that his knee is at around “95 percent” recovered.
“It needs more strengthening,” Rivera said. “The five percent will come quick.”
As of now, there’s every indication that Rivera will be ready for spring training and a potential save chance on Opening Day. Whether you are a Yankees fan or not, that’s a cool thing to think about on this quiet January afternoon.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)