Mariano Rivera to start throwing next week, says knee is at about “95 percent”

Jan 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EST

Mariano Rivera Getty Getty Images

Encouraging news to pass along regarding Mariano Rivera, who is currently working his way back from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.

According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Rivera said today that he plans to start his offseason throwing program next week. That’s earlier than normal for him, but he’s doing things a little differently coming off major surgery. The 43-year-old also estimated that his knee is at around “95 percent” recovered.

“It needs more strengthening,” Rivera said. “The five percent will come quick.”

As of now, there’s every indication that Rivera will be ready for spring training and a potential save chance on Opening Day. Whether you are a Yankees fan or not, that’s a cool thing to think about on this quiet January afternoon.

1. tc4306 - Jan 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

No fan of the Yankees here, but baseball is better when Mariano is part of it.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

can Mo play the outfield ?

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Are you kidding? That’s how he hurt himself in the first place!

2. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

thank you above comment…I love Mo. can’t wait to see him close again oh so glad

3. proudlycanadian - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

He is one of the classiest people in baseball. I wish him great success this season. I also hope that he does not get many save opportunities against the Jays.

• RickyB - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I concur (hopefully due to large Yankee leads from point of view, however …)

• proudlycanadian - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

We will see! It will be an interesting season.

4. cackalackyank - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Way to go Mo!

5. bigharold - Jan 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’ll take 95% of Mo any time.

6. badintent - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Go Mo Go ! Hope the Coach will using him sparely the first 2 months so his knee doesn’t have to deal with cold weather.

7. j0esixpack - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Red Sox fan here. I think I’m safe in saying Rivera is universally respected and the game has been better with him in it.

He deserves to go out on his terms.

8. tdstevie - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

As a Brewers fan, I am glad to see his recovery going well…I wish him all the best!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5638)