Jan 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Via Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:
It’s far too early to talk about the possibilities, but the Padres are one of the clubs the Miami Marlins have talked to regarding right-handed, power-hitting right fielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Center suspects that the Fish would want infield prospect Jedd Gyorko and at least two other young players in return. Gyorko, 24, batted .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs, 28 doubles and 100 RBI across 557 plate appearances last season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. He was a second-round pick of the Padres in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft.
Stanton isn’t necessarily being shopped, but the Marlins are fielding all offers and apparently reaching out to certain clubs with strong farm systems. The 23-year-old hit .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 30 doubles and 86 RBI in 501 plate appearances last year. He is under contractual control through the 2016 season.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)