Jan 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Via Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:
It’s far too early to talk about the possibilities, but the Padres are one of the clubs the Miami Marlins have talked to regarding right-handed, power-hitting right fielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Center suspects that the Fish would want infield prospect Jedd Gyorko and at least two other young players in return. Gyorko, 24, batted .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs, 28 doubles and 100 RBI across 557 plate appearances last season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. He was a second-round pick of the Padres in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft.
Stanton isn’t necessarily being shopped, but the Marlins are fielding all offers and apparently reaching out to certain clubs with strong farm systems. The 23-year-old hit .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 30 doubles and 86 RBI in 501 plate appearances last year. He is under contractual control through the 2016 season.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)