Jan 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Via Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:
It’s far too early to talk about the possibilities, but the Padres are one of the clubs the Miami Marlins have talked to regarding right-handed, power-hitting right fielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Center suspects that the Fish would want infield prospect Jedd Gyorko and at least two other young players in return. Gyorko, 24, batted .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs, 28 doubles and 100 RBI across 557 plate appearances last season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. He was a second-round pick of the Padres in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft.
Stanton isn’t necessarily being shopped, but the Marlins are fielding all offers and apparently reaching out to certain clubs with strong farm systems. The 23-year-old hit .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 30 doubles and 86 RBI in 501 plate appearances last year. He is under contractual control through the 2016 season.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)