Jan 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EST
Via Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:
It’s far too early to talk about the possibilities, but the Padres are one of the clubs the Miami Marlins have talked to regarding right-handed, power-hitting right fielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Center suspects that the Fish would want infield prospect Jedd Gyorko and at least two other young players in return. Gyorko, 24, batted .311/.373/.547 with 30 home runs, 28 doubles and 100 RBI across 557 plate appearances last season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. He was a second-round pick of the Padres in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft.
Stanton isn’t necessarily being shopped, but the Marlins are fielding all offers and apparently reaching out to certain clubs with strong farm systems. The 23-year-old hit .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 30 doubles and 86 RBI in 501 plate appearances last year. He is under contractual control through the 2016 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)