Orioles expected to give Buck Showalter a three-year extension

Jan 5, 2013, 9:46 AM EDT

Buck Showalter Getty Getty Images

We’ve known for a while that the Orioles are nearing an extension with manager Buck Showalter, but now we have some of the specifics. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Showalter is expected to get a three-year extension which will carry him through through the 2016 season. His current contract expires after next season.

Multiple reports indicate that Showalter flew from his Dallas-area home yesterday to meet with Orioles owner Peter Angelos, so they are likely working on the finishing touches. The extension could be formally announced next week.

It’s hard to find a more deserving candidate, as Showalter is fresh off leading the Orioles to their first postseason berth since 1997 and owns a 196-185 record since taking over as manager in July of 2010. He was recently named “Marylander of the Year” by the Baltimore Sun, so he’s truly the toast of the town right now.

1. husky2score - Jan 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

The Yankees needed 200 million dollars to form their current team. The Orioles? They needed one Buck.

LETS GO O’S!!!!

• D.J. Short - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Ha. I like that.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

They will be sorry, mark my words.

• chuckleberry1974 - Jan 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Because……..?

• uyf1950 - Jan 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM

There is a reason Showalter’s never lasted more then 4 seasons with any team he’s ever managed. He wears out his welcome. He’s been with the O’s a little over 2 years I give him 2 more years the 2013 and 2014 season to milk the O’s performance last year. Then ownership fires him.

3. steelers88 - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Congrats Buck!

4. lazlosother - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

UYF has a point here. Buck is an excellent manager but he does wear out his welcome. While it isn’t a given the Os’ will wind up unhappy with him before the contract plays out, his history indicates that they will. Buck is a control freak, and like most of those he’s inflexible. This tends to hurt him in the long run.

5. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 6, 2013 at 3:51 AM

when the Os signed showalter I honestly thought to myself if one person can make some sort of impact its him and what he’s done with this team has not suprised me one bit…he is a tough strong well thought out manager that if girardi walked away I would love to see him manage my yanks…though I do like girardi lol…he’s a class act and I hope he continues to help the Os contend.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3792)