Jan 5, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles have expressed interest in acquiring corner outfielder Jason Kubel from the Diamondbacks but are “disinclined” at this point to meet Arizona’s demands, which center around young pitching.
The D’Backs have an overly crowded outfield and are currently shopping both Kubel and Justin Upton.
Upton has drawn serious attention from multiple teams — including the Padres, Rangers, Mariners and Braves — and would obviously fetch a far better return package than Kubel. The younger brother of B.J. Upton has hit .284/.363/.481 with 48 homers, 155 RBI and 39 stolen bases over the past two seasons.
He’s owed a total of $38.5 million in salary through the 2015 campaign.
Kubel, 30, batted .253/.327/.506 with 30 home runs and 90 RBI in 2012. He signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract with the Snakes last winter. That deal also includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)