Jan 5, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles have expressed interest in acquiring corner outfielder Jason Kubel from the Diamondbacks but are “disinclined” at this point to meet Arizona’s demands, which center around young pitching.
The D’Backs have an overly crowded outfield and are currently shopping both Kubel and Justin Upton.
Upton has drawn serious attention from multiple teams — including the Padres, Rangers, Mariners and Braves — and would obviously fetch a far better return package than Kubel. The younger brother of B.J. Upton has hit .284/.363/.481 with 48 homers, 155 RBI and 39 stolen bases over the past two seasons.
He’s owed a total of $38.5 million in salary through the 2015 campaign.
Kubel, 30, batted .253/.327/.506 with 30 home runs and 90 RBI in 2012. He signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract with the Snakes last winter. That deal also includes a $7.5 million club option for 2014.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)