Jan 5, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
From the Pirates’ official Twitter account comes word that the team has asked for release waivers on right-hander Rick VandenHurk for “the purpose of allowing him to sign with a foreign club.” We would guess that it’s a team from either Korea or Japan.
VandenHurk posted a promising 2.92 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in 19 starts and two relief appearances last season at Triple-A Indianapolis, fanning 113 batters and issuing only 35 walks in 123 1/3 innings. But the Pirates weren’t going to give him much of a chance this season and he probably got a decent offer — maybe close to $1 million — overseas.
The 27-year-old Netherlands native was signed by the Marlins as an amateur free agent in 2002. He’s made 50 major league appearances (35 starts, 15 in relief) to the tune of a 6.08 career ERA and 1.63 career WHIP.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)