Jan 5, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
After a year in which their starters posted a major-league worst 5.22 ERA, the Rockies continue to look for reinforcements for their rotation. While the club remains open to possible trades, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that they have expressed “mild interest” in free agent right-handers Brandon Webb and Jeff Karstens.
Webb, who turns 34 in May, is on the comeback trail again after sitting out last season following another shoulder surgery. Bill Geivett, the Rockies’ director of major league operations, confirmed that the club plans to watch Webb throw for teams later this month. We already know that the Twins are also expected to be in attendance.
Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since Opening Day of 2009 and his last comeback fizzled with the Rangers in 2011 due to more shoulder issues. The best-case scenario is that he gets a minor league deal with a spring training invite.
Karstens has a decent 4.02 ERA over 375 2/3 innings over the past three seasons, but he was limited to just 90 2/3 innings in 2012 due to hip and shoulder injuries. The Pirates non-tendered him in late October rather than give him a raise in arbitration, but he should be able to find a major league deal somewhere.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)