Jan 5, 2013, 8:35 AM EST
After a year in which their starters posted a major-league worst 5.22 ERA, the Rockies continue to look for reinforcements for their rotation. While the club remains open to possible trades, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that they have expressed “mild interest” in free agent right-handers Brandon Webb and Jeff Karstens.
Webb, who turns 34 in May, is on the comeback trail again after sitting out last season following another shoulder surgery. Bill Geivett, the Rockies’ director of major league operations, confirmed that the club plans to watch Webb throw for teams later this month. We already know that the Twins are also expected to be in attendance.
Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since Opening Day of 2009 and his last comeback fizzled with the Rangers in 2011 due to more shoulder issues. The best-case scenario is that he gets a minor league deal with a spring training invite.
Karstens has a decent 4.02 ERA over 375 2/3 innings over the past three seasons, but he was limited to just 90 2/3 innings in 2012 due to hip and shoulder injuries. The Pirates non-tendered him in late October rather than give him a raise in arbitration, but he should be able to find a major league deal somewhere.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)